Estimate the Hydrogren Burning Lifetimes of Stars

In summary, the hydrogen burning lifetimes of stars on the lower and upper ends of the main sequence can be estimated using their masses and luminosities. For the lower end star with M = 0.085 solar masses, log10(Teff/K) = 3.438, and log10(L/Lsolar) = -3.279, assuming it is entirely convective, all of its hydrogen will become available for burning. For the upper end star with M = 90 solar masses, log10(Teff/K) = 4.722, and log10(L/Lsolar) = 6.045, only 10% of its hydrogen will be available for burning. Using the energy conversion equation, the nuclear
SHISHKABOB

Homework Statement

Estimate the hydrogen burning lifetimes of stars on the lower and upper ends of the main sequence.

Lower end: M = 0.085 solar masses; log10(Teff/K) = 3.438; log10(L/Lsolar) = -3.279

Upper end: M = 90 solar masses; log10(Teff/K) = 4.722; log10(L/Lsolar) = 6.045

Assume that the 0.085 solar mass star is entirely convective, so that all of its hydrogen becomes available for burning, while only 10% is available for the high mass star.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So in my book it does an example where it does basically this problem. It takes the sun and assumes that it started off 100% hydrogen. It then assumes that only 10% of the hydrogen is converted into helium via nuclear fusion. It then says that only 0.7% of the mass of hydrogen would be converted to energy when the helium is formed.

So Enuclear = (0.1)(0.007)*Msolarc2 = 1.3*1044

then

tnuclear = Enuclear/Lsolar = ~1010 years

I would assume that I use the same process for each of the cases given in the problem. But I am hesitating because it gives me the effective temperature of each star. At first I thought perhaps that it wanted me to take into account the energy production rate due to the PP cycle or the CNO cycle, but then of course the effective temperature is not the temperature at the core, so I am a little uncertain of what to do with the temperature.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you're given the luminosity and the amount of hydrogen burned, that is all you need. You don't need the effective temperature - it is probably just there for interest sake.

What is the purpose of estimating the hydrogen burning lifetimes of stars?

The purpose of estimating the hydrogen burning lifetimes of stars is to understand the evolution and lifespan of stars. By knowing how long a star will burn its hydrogen fuel, scientists can predict when it will change and eventually die. This information also helps us understand the formation and structure of galaxies.

How is the hydrogen burning lifetime of a star calculated?

The hydrogen burning lifetime of a star is calculated using the mass of the star and its luminosity. This is based on the mass-luminosity relationship, which states that the more massive a star is, the brighter it will be and the faster it will burn through its hydrogen fuel.

What factors can affect the estimated hydrogen burning lifetime of a star?

The estimated hydrogen burning lifetime of a star can be affected by various factors such as its mass, composition, and initial conditions. Other external factors, such as interactions with other stars or the presence of a companion star, can also impact the hydrogen burning lifetime of a star.

How accurate are the estimates of hydrogen burning lifetimes?

The estimates of hydrogen burning lifetimes are based on theoretical models and can vary depending on the assumptions and uncertainties in the data. While they are generally accurate, there can be variations and discrepancies between predicted and observed lifetimes.

Why is it important to estimate the hydrogen burning lifetime of stars?

Estimating the hydrogen burning lifetime of stars is important for understanding the evolution and lifespan of stars. It also helps us make predictions about the future of stars and galaxies, as well as providing insights into the fundamental processes that govern the universe.