Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimating the standard deviation

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    Hi

Say I have a linear problem Mp = d, where d is our data, p our parameters and M our "observation matrix" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_problem#Linear_inverse_problems). So what we are dealing with is an overdetermined problem.

Now, I have read an example where we have a vector of data d whose standard deviation we don't know. Then we try and estimate it, and the estimate is given by

[tex]
    \sigma ^2 _{estimate} = \frac{1}{N}\sum\limits_i {\left( {d_i - \left( {Mp} \right)_i } \right)^2 }
    [/tex]

My question is: How can they estimate the standard deviation like this? Usually we would use the mean, but they use (Mp)i, and I can't quite see why this yields an estimate.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Suppose you are doing linear regression and the fitted equation is y = Ax + B. If you assume the random variable y_observed has mean Ax + B at each x value and also that the distribution of errors about the mean is the same at each x value, then you can estimate the standard deviation of y_observed by using the quantities ( y_observed - Ax)^2 since Ax is the mean value of y at that particular value of x.

The example may assume that the p vector is fitted well enough so that [itex] {(MP)}_i [/itex] is the mean value of [itex] d_i [/itex] and that the distribution of errors from the mean is identical for all [itex] i [/itex].

4. Sep 22, 2011 #3
    Ah, I see. Thanks for taking the time to help me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook