1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimation example from Giancoli

1. Aug 27, 2015 #1

EvD

Hello, I´m a bit math-challenged and just started to brush up on both physics and mathematics simultaneously but I'm still at absolute beginner status and I don't want to go on in the book as long as I can't even figure out such a simple example. I'm using the Giancoli textbook on physics for self-study but can't quite follow the simplest of examples in the first chapter. Since the problem lies in the mathematical part of my understanding and not the conceptually physical part I thought I'd post it here. Just wanted to check if I'm doing something wrong or whether there's a typo in the example because unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a list of errata for the book. Here it is:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The example is about estimating the volume of a lake by using some rough measures and rounded-off numbers to get at the approximate order-of-magnitude.
    So it says:

V=hπr2 ≈(10meters) × (3) ×(5×102meters)2≈8×106m3 ≈ 107 m3

where π has been rounded to 3, the average depth of the lake is 10m and the estimated radius of the surface is given by 5×102 (500 m).
    I can't seem to follow how he arrives at 8 ×106.
    2. Relevant equations
    -
    3. The attempt at a solution
    In my mind it would come to 3×(5×105) and then maybe 1.5×101 ×105 and then 1.5 ×106. This is of course different from the given 8×106.

I figure I'm probably making a mistake here in the rules of multiplication of exponents and bracketing out but I can't figure out what it is. Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for the absolute rookie level of mathematical (in)competence.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't forget to square the radius: (5×102)2 = 500 × 500 = 250,000

Multiply by the average depth: 250,000 × 10 = 2,500,000

Multiply by π (approx.): 2,500,000 × 3 = 7,500,000

Round final result to 1 significant figure: 7,500,000 ≈ 8,000,000 or 8×106 m3

Personally, I find writing some numbers in scientific notation tedious and confusing (for example, 5×102 for 500).

When you do square numbers written in scientific notation, remember to square the first part but double the exponent on the 10:

(5×102)2 = 25×104 = 2.5×105 = 250,000

4. Aug 27, 2015 #3

EvD

Ah right of course. Thanks a million! That made a lot of sense and really helped me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted