Estimating Error in Wavelength from Graphical Approach

PhysicsRock
Homework Statement
/
Relevant Equations
/
As part of my studies, I'm obliged to take an experimental course at the moment, where I have to conduct experiments and write a composition. Today we examined spectral lines of helium with a prism. As part of the evaluation, I had to plot the measured diffraction angles of different colors / wavelengths (which were unknown at the time and left to figure out later) as function of ##\lambda##. Now I'm asked to estimate the error in the wavelength from the graphical approach, but I have no idea where to start. There's no expression for the dependence of ##\delta(\lambda)## on ##\lambda##, so I can't really do the classical

$$
\Delta \delta = \left\vert \frac{d \delta(\lambda)}{d \lambda} \right\vert \Delta \lambda \Leftrightarrow \Delta \lambda = \left\vert \frac{d \delta(\lambda)}{d\lambda} \right\vert^{-1} \Delta \delta
$$

What I thought of is to try to draw a tangent line as good as possible at a measured wavelength, say ##\lambda_0##, and read off its slope. That would sort of act like ##\delta^\prime(\lambda_0)## and I could calculate an error. However, I don't like two things about that. The first is that the error I get for the value that's off the most (by about ##12.3 \, \text{nm}##) is too little at about ##\Delta \lambda \approx 5.56 \, \text{nm}##. Second, it just seems too easy to me.

I hope some of you have a suggestion for a good approach. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsRock said:
Homework Statement: /
Relevant Equations: /

Today we examined spectral lines of helium with a prism. As part of the evaluation, I had to plot the measured diffraction angles of different colors / wavelengths (which were unknown at the time and left to figure out later) as function of wavelength lambda.
Can you post screenshots of the test setup and of your data?

And how are you determining the wavelength ##\lambda## ? From the observed color and a look-up table, or do you have a way of measuring the wavelength at each angle directly?

berkeman said:
Can you post screenshots of the test setup and of your data?

And how are you determining the wavelength ##\lambda## ? From the observed color and a look-up table, or do you have a way of measuring the wavelength at each angle directly?
This (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ent_setup.svg/1200px-Experiment_setup.svg.png) setup was used. We first measured the deflection angles of the individual lines of mercury, the wave lengths were given here. After that, we were supposed to draw a diagram, putting the values of ##\delta## on the ##y##- and ##\lambda## on the ##x##-axis and marking the points where a linked pair met in the coordinate system. This gave the curve ##\delta(\lambda)## I was talking about. Then we repeated the same process for helium, but this time without being given the wave lengths. The idea was to draw a horizontal line from the measured deflection angle until it intersects ##\delta(\lambda)##, the ##x##-coordinate of that point would then give the wave length of the observed spectral line.

I hope I was able to clarify the procedure.

PhysicsRock said:
Please always upload images to PF, to ensure that they are not lost in future years when the image server at some other website decides to delete them. Here is your image:

1694039876704.png

(attribution added) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Experiment_setup.svg

Last edited:
PhysicsRock said:
We first measured the deflection angles of the individual lines of mercury, the wave lengths were given here.
Which what here?

PhysicsRock said:
This (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ent_setup.svg/1200px-Experiment_setup.svg.png) setup was used. We first measured the deflection angles of the individual lines of mercury, the wave lengths were given here. After that, we were supposed to draw a diagram, putting the values of ##\delta## on the ##y##- and ##\lambda## on the ##x##-axis and marking the points where a linked pair met in the coordinate system. This gave the curve ##\delta(\lambda)## I was talking about. Then we repeated the same process for helium, but this time without being given the wave lengths. The idea was to draw a horizontal line from the measured deflection angle until it intersects ##\delta(\lambda)##, the ##x##-coordinate of that point would then give the wave length of the observed spectral line.

I hope I was able to clarify the procedure.
Ok, so it is an interpolation procedure.
First consider the sources of error:
  • the given wavelengths (presumably pretty accurate)
  • the observed deflections for mercury
  • the observed deflections for helium
  • the interpolation step
For that last, are you connecting the mercury dots with straight lines or attempting a smooth curve? If you were to connect with straight lines, what angle, at worst, is made by three consecutive dots?

berkeman said:
Please always upload images to PF, to ensure that they are not lost in future years when the image server at some other website decides to delete them. Here is your image:
This is a Wikimedia image. If we are going to display it here it needs to have the license and attribution set out here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Experiment_setup.svg

Likes berkeman
haruspex said:
For that last, are you connecting the mercury dots with straight lines or attempting a smooth curve? If you were to connect with straight lines, what angle, at worst, is made by three consecutive dots?
I tried my best to make it a smooth curve, connecting the individual dots.

PhysicsRock said:
I tried my best to make it a smooth curve, connecting the individual dots.
ok, but can you answer my second question?

haruspex said:
ok, but can you answer my second question?
Sorry for the late reply, usually I get a notification when somebody responds. I have now settled to determine the error by drawing additional horizontal lines offset from the observed angle by the estimated error and then just read the ##x##-coordinate of the intersection point and took ##\Delta\lambda = \vert \lambda_1 - \lambda_2 \vert##, where ##\lambda_1## is the original angle and ##\lambda_2## said intersection coordinate. Tedious to do, but it should do the trick.

Thank you for your help anyway. Have a good day.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the graphical approach to estimating error in wavelength?

The graphical approach to estimating error in wavelength involves plotting the data points on a graph and visually determining the range of possible values for the wavelength based on the uncertainty in the measurements.

2. How accurate is the graphical approach compared to other methods of estimating error?

The accuracy of the graphical approach depends on the skill and experience of the person making the estimation. It is generally less accurate than other methods such as statistical analysis or using mathematical equations, but it can be a quick and easy way to estimate error in certain situations.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the graphical approach?

The accuracy of the graphical approach can be affected by the precision of the measurements, the complexity of the data, and the skill of the person making the estimation. It is also important to consider any potential sources of error in the data itself.

4. Can the graphical approach be used for all types of data?

The graphical approach can be used for most types of data, but it is most effective for data that follows a linear pattern. It may not be as accurate for data that is highly variable or has a non-linear relationship.

5. How can the graphical approach help in understanding the uncertainty of measurements?

The graphical approach can provide a visual representation of the uncertainty in measurements, making it easier to understand the range of possible values for a particular measurement. It can also help identify any outliers or inconsistencies in the data that may affect the accuracy of the measurements.