Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ethod or algorithm that will always win in chess

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1

Pythagorean

Gold Member

is there a method or algorithm that will always win in chess or can the algorithm/method always be fooled by the choices of the opponent?

I know for a while there was a lot of noise over Big Blue, but I'm curious where the subject sits today.

In all the games I play (i.e. amateur games) there's lots of observation and psychology involved (there's always a chance someone will make an obvious mistake and forfeit a position or piece that they could have protected, especially if you move in a way that makes them focus on the short term instead of the long term.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Chess

Chess has not yet been "solved" -- although there are good computer programs for chess, they're not unbeatable. The most complex game I know that has been solved is checkers.

Edit: At least one of the following is true:
    1. There is an algorithm that can play White from the opening such that Black can never win (the result is always a draw or a White win).
    2. There is an algorithm that can play Black from the opening such that White can never win (the result is always a draw or a Black win).

I suspect that both are true: that either player can force a draw.

4. Nov 23, 2008 #3
    Re: Chess

I think the current method computers use to play chess is to look at all possible moves, several turns ahead and then select the current move which leads to the best/safest outcomes on average.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?