1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Etiquette of writing research poster acknowledgments?

1. Mar 3, 2017 #1
    I have written the following on my poster:

Special thanks to: "Professor Name" and "Professor Name" for their support through out this project, my numerous colleagues, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6 for their assistance during lab work and last but not least to my parents "Dad" and "Mom" for their support through out this journey.

Is this good enough?

I am not sure if I should actually write the names of my parents and whether I should list all the people who shared tips and tricks with me in the lab.

For the latter, is there a general rule to follow for people who helped me with lab work, i.e helping me only mixing concrete. Can I just list first names when thanking colleagues to save space?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2017 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think you are overdoing it just a bit. This is not your thesis. It is "just" a poster for a presentation, presumably at a conference.

What you should acknowledge is funding agencies, if such were used to support the work. If this is a collaborative work, then the names of all the people involved (including your supervisor), should be listed as the "authors" of the work, even though you may list your name as the first one on that list of authors.

If you feel very strongly about thanking someone not on the list of authors who help you tremendously in the work, then include a brief thank you in the acknowledgement. Otherwise, most of what you intended to include is not necessary.

Zz.

4. Mar 3, 2017 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A possible example of this would be "Samples provided by Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Department of Chemistry, Muppet University". That person should be acknowledged, because their work is critical, but not an author if they are not responsible for the scientific conclusions.

5. Mar 5, 2017 #4

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It should be very similar to what you see in a paper. The standard form would be something like,

"This work was supported by *FUNDING AGENCY* grants XXX and YYY. The authors gratefully acknowledge the *helpful discussions with/samples provided by* Prof. X and Dr. Y"

It's not a thesis acknowledgement, definitely don't thank your parents. If you want to refer to colleagues, use their title and last name. I would not list everyone. I wouldn't make it much longer than what I outlined above, it's just a poster.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted