Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euclidian topology ang cofinite topology

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    please can you help me to prove this exercise;
    Prove that:
    the Euclidean topology R is finer than the cofinite topology on R

please answer me as faster as u can I have an exame on monday and I don't know to provethis exercise!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2
    Consider an arbitrary open set U in the cofinite topology. U is all of R except [itex]x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_n[/itex]. Given some point [itex]x \in U[/itex] can you find an open interval I containing x, but included in U. That is [itex]x \in I \subseteq U[/itex] where I is open in the standard Euclidean topology and U is open in the cofinite topology. (HINT: can you show that the open interval centered at x with radius [itex]\min(|x-x_1|,|x-x_2|,\ldots,|x-x_n|)[/itex] works?)

It's a well-known theorem that if for every open set U in a topology T, and every point [itex]x\in U[/itex] we can find some set U' such that [itex]x \in U' \subseteq U[/itex] and U' is open in the topology T', then T' is finer than T.

4. Oct 24, 2009 #3
    thank you! U had helped me a lot thanks thanks

5. Oct 24, 2009 #4
    Can you help me and for this exercise please!

the function f:(X,T)->(X,T') is continuous
    the function f:(X,T')->(X,T) is open

{T is the Euclidean topology,T' is cofinite topology}
    [the function f maybe is the identity function id but I am not sure]

6. Oct 24, 2009 #5
    I'm assuming that you're asked to prove the two statements.

If f is the identity function then you're just restating the result in the OP. That f:(X,T)->(X,T') is continuous means that for every set U open in T', the set [itex]f^{-1}(U) = U[/itex] is open in T. Hence this is equivalent to "if U is open in T', then U is open in T" which is just stating that T is finer than T'. The other statement is shown in exactly the same way.

If f is an arbitrary function then the result is not true because for every [itex]y \in X[/itex] we can let [itex]f_y : (X,T') \to (X,T)[/itex] be the constant function f(x) = y so [itex]f(X) = \{y\}[/itex] is open according to your second statement. Since every one-element set is open T is the discrete topology, but the Euclidean topology is different from the discrete topology (unless of course X consists solely of isolated points).

7. Oct 24, 2009 #6
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook