Euler Lagrange equation of motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a system with one generalized coordinate, x, and a lagrangian that has constants multiplied by the absolute value of x. When taking the partial derivative of the lagrangian with respect to x, it is undefined at x=0. There is a discussion about whether something needs to be done about this or if the derivative should just be left as (x/|x|). It is suggested that the Weierstrass-Erdmann Corner Condition may be useful in handling this issue. It is also mentioned that x is a function of t (x(t)) and that this may affect the calculations. Finally, there is a question about how to handle the step function in the solution for x=0.
skate_nerd
I have a system with one generalized coordinate, x. In the potential energy part of the lagrangian, I have some constants multiplied by the absolute value of x. That is the only x dependence the lagrangian has, so when I take the partial derivative of the lagrangian with respect to x (to get the euler lagrange differential equation), I get a derivative that is undefined at x=0. Is there anything that I am supposed to do about this? Or do I just leave the derivative (x/|x|) and go on with writing the diff. eq?

Also, let it be known that x is a function of t (x(t)).
I think this may change things but I'm not sure. Why would the partial x derivative of |x(t)| be any different then the direct x derivative of |x(t)|?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, you'll need to treat the corner carefully. The Weierstrass-Erdmann Corner Condition might be useful. Otherwise, I would proceed with the usual calculations.

$x$ is always $x(t)$. You don't need to worry about $t$ showing up in the Lagrangian if it's inside the function $x$.

skatenerd said:
when I take the partial derivative of the lagrangian with respect to x (to get the euler lagrange differential equation), I get a derivative that is undefined at x=0. Is there anything that I am supposed to do about this? Or do I just leave the derivative (x/|x|) and go on with writing the diff. eq?

It means that your system explodes if it passes through x=0.

Physically that is not possible, so that suggests there is something special going on with your lagrangian.
Perhaps x=0 is outside of the range in which your lagrangian is valid?
Where is this step function coming from?

Something like that might happen if you model the gravity of an object with mass M with \(\displaystyle V=-\frac {GM}{x}\).
It is only valid if you are outside the object.

Thanks for the responses Ackbach + I Like Serena.
@I Like Serena, you're saying I have a step function, so do I need to treat my whole solution like one? With two specific solutions, one for x>0 and x<0, and one for x=0?

skatenerd said:
Thanks for the responses Ackbach + I Like Serena.
@I Like Serena, you're saying I have a step function, so do I need to treat my whole solution like one? With two specific solutions, one for x>0 and x<0, and one for x=0?

Looks like it.
Presumably you won't have a solution for x=0 other than that the system behaves like a singularity in space and time.
Can't really say much more without more information.

Thanks. I think that's probably all I'll need to know. I've got the info.

Related to Euler Lagrange equation of motion

1. What is the Euler Lagrange equation of motion?

The Euler Lagrange equation of motion is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a system over time. It is used in classical mechanics to calculate the path that a system will take between two points, based on the system's energy and the forces acting on it.

2. How is the Euler Lagrange equation of motion derived?

The Euler Lagrange equation of motion is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path a system takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action (a measure of the system's energy) along the path. By setting the variation of the action to zero, the Euler Lagrange equation of motion can be derived.

3. What is the significance of the Euler Lagrange equation of motion?

The Euler Lagrange equation of motion is significant because it provides a concise and elegant way to describe the behavior of a system in classical mechanics. It allows for the prediction of a system's motion without needing to know the specific forces acting on it, making it a powerful tool in physics and engineering.

4. How is the Euler Lagrange equation of motion applied in real-world scenarios?

The Euler Lagrange equation of motion is applied in a variety of real-world scenarios, from predicting the motion of celestial bodies in space to designing control systems for aircraft. It is also used in fields such as robotics, where it can be used to optimize the movement of robotic arms and other mechanical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Euler Lagrange equation of motion?

While the Euler Lagrange equation of motion is a powerful tool, it does have limitations. It is only applicable to systems that can be described using classical mechanics, and it assumes that the system is in equilibrium. Additionally, it does not take into account any external factors that may affect the system's motion, such as friction or air resistance.