Euro 2012: Who's Cheering For Whom?

• Thread starter KiwiKid
  • Start date
In summary: Irish.The referee wasn't exactly on our side either, but the defence was just cringe worthy to watch... I expected... more from the Irish.
KiwiKid
Are any of you following Euro 2012? Which team do you support? :smile:

Me, I'm Dutch. So, yeah, don't laugh.

Physics news on Phys.org
Portugal, duh!

KiwiKid said:
Me, I'm Dutch. So, yeah, don't laugh.
Infinitum said:
Portugal, duh!
Both of your teams have to get past the group of death, and neither one is off to a very good start in that regard.

Spain v Italy today will be interesting.

Northern Ireland didn't get through so I'm supporting the Republic of Ireland.

D H said:
Both of your teams have to get past the group of death, and neither one is off to a very good start in that regard.

Aye, despite the bad start against Germany, I'm hoping they'll do good. I've been an ardent fan of Portugal ever since I knew football, so yeah... :smile:

D H said:
*nods* Yup. The 0-1 against Denmark was a bitter pill to swallow.

D H said:
I agree. Although Italy hasn't been doing so well lately, they're still a good team. Spain, of course, is also very good.

D H, are you a fan of a team yourself?

I'm supporting Germany, the game last night wasn't great though.

What is Spain up to with their lineup? Tic tac, but no toe (no strikers!).

D H said:
What is Spain up to with their lineup? Tic tac, but no toe (no strikers!).

I wondered that, too. And I don't know - it reminds me of Barcelona, though. I guess we'll see how it works out for Spain (or Italy).

I liked the Spain vs Italy match much more than Germany vs Portugal.

As long as we are in the tournament I support Poland, that's out of the question :tongue2:

I'm danish, so for the moment, I'm happy. Wednesday, we just need to beat Portugal and germany to beat Holland, then I'll be VERY happy.

But Russia lurks in the quarter, and they look scary!

I'm in the good situation of coming from one country but living in another (sweden and germany respectively), which means I get two shots at cheering for the right team ;)

Borek said:
I liked the Spain vs Italy match much more than Germany vs Portugal.
Agreed. Although for me that was mostly because both Germany and Portugal were playing badly. Spain vs Italy was a fun game to watch, but I thought the Spanish could've done better - if only they had a good striker. :biggrin: (Though, being Dutch, I probably had better shut my mouth for now.)

FredericGos said:
I'm danish, so for the moment, I'm happy. Wednesday, we just need to beat Portugal and germany to beat Holland, then I'll be VERY happy.
To be honest, I think Germany is going to smash Holland to pulp in the next match. I'm not sure about Portugal vs Denmark and Portugal vs Holland. So far, the performance of the Portuguese hasn't been stunning - but neither has that of the Germans or the Dutch, for that matter.

FredericGos said:
But Russia lurks in the quarter, and they look scary!
Yup. On the off chance that Holland makes it to the quarter finals, it seems possible that they'll still have to beat Russia. You know, the team that totally destroyed them four years ago. :grumpy:

KiwiKid said:
To be honest, I think Germany is going to smash Holland to pulp in the next match.

Not sure about that. They just need to tell Robben to lean forward when he shoots, so that the ball doesn't end up 25 feet above goal. :) Anyway, I have a hard time seeing those guys being so innefective two matches in a row. And I don't think germany was scary against Portugal.

KiwiKid said:
I'm not sure about Portugal vs Denmark and Portugal vs Holland. So far, the performance of the Portuguese hasn't been stunning - but neither has that of the Germans or the Dutch, for that matter.

Portugal-Denmark is wide open imo. If the danes hit the day and play like they did in the qualification against them, then they will win. But if Portugal scores early, it could end up really bad for Denmark.

After Irelands performance against Croatia, I'm going to say it could be an absolute hammering from Spain on Thursday.

rollcast said:
After Irelands performance against Croatia, I'm going to say it could be an absolute hammering from Spain on Thursday.

Before watching that match, did you expect them to make it to the quarter finals? Most people certainly didn't.

On another note, I would just like to point out that I now absolutely *love* Antonio Di Natale. That guy's an awesome striker.

rollcast said:

I stayed up all night to catch the game was terrible disappointed in the players.

The referee wasn't exactly on our side either, but the defence was just cringe worthy to watch... I expected a lot more seeing as we never get into competitions like the euros.

Ukraine just beat Sweden! Phew, that was one intense match.

Shevchenko rulez.

KiwiKid said:
Ukraine just beat Sweden! Phew, that was one intense match.

Yeah, and the reviews in the swedish press was pretty clear, sweden played way to cowardly on the most part of the game, should have dared more aggression, like they did at the start of the second half.

Now it will be tough though, if sweden couldn't beat ukraine, england and france will be hard.

Zarqon said:
Yeah, and the reviews in the swedish press was pretty clear, sweden played way to cowardly on the most part of the game, should have dared more aggression, like they did at the start of the second half.
Hm. While I agree, I mostly was just pleasantly surprised by how good Ukraine was in that match. They weren't very good in the beginning, but they played *much* better later. (Until ten, fifteen minutes before the end, that is. That's when everyone sat on the edge of their seats wondering whether Sweden would make the equalizer just before the end of the game.)

Zarqon said:
Now it will be tough though, if sweden couldn't beat ukraine, england and france will be hard.
Very true.

Substitute Swedes for Germans, add France and England in the near future, then watch this old Ukrainian cartoon :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
Substitute Swedes for Germans, add France and England in the near future, then watch this old Ukrainian cartoon :biggrin:

:rofl: Brilliant!

Last edited by a moderator:
I never cared much for International football, as I'm more of a club kinda guy (Tottenham Hotspur), but when we played Holland, I must admit I got carried a bit away. I do watch all the games I can of the Euros though.

If we manage to get a draw vs either Portugal or Germany I reckon we can go through with 4 points.

Storm89 said:
If we manage to get a draw vs either Portugal or Germany I reckon we can go through with 4 points.

It's possible. Realistically, I think Germany is going to flatten Holland tomorrow, and IMO Denmark has a real chance of winning against Portugal. Against Germany, not so much.

From the way Greeks behave during the match it is obvious in which country theater was invented.

Borek said:
From the way Greeks behave during the match it is obvious in which country theater was invented.

They're not exactly winning, though. :P

...Ahem. And then suddenly it's 1-2 because the goalkeeper's being silly.

Poland vs Russia! This is bound to become an interesting match. Let's hope Poland wins, Borek. :smile:

Draw again.

When you don't have what you like, you must like what you have.

Borek said:
Draw again.

When you don't have what you like, you must like what you have.

'twas against badass-Russia. I think it wasn't too bad a result.

Good result for Poland I reckon. Was a good goal by Blaszczykowski as well. Probably the best of the tournament so far.

I didn't see the first half, but I watched the second half in my office with a Polish mathematician. He was happy when Poland scored their nice equalizer, but I was quite surprised when he then said that he hoped the game would end in a draw. He seemed to care more about the actions of fans than the actual game result, and he felt that a draw would be best for both sets of fans.

This EU tournament is not obliging to my rules, almost none of my predictions are coming true :frown:

Monique said:
This EU tournament is not obliging to my rules, almost none of my predictions are coming true :frown:

So which ones *did* come true? :biggrin:

Grpmhf, only one: Germany-Portugal 1-0. For tomorrow I wrote down Netherlands-Germany 0-1, now I hope I'm wrong about that! :biggrin:

The previous EU and World championships I was 1st place in correctly predicting the outcome, which made me think I could earn some serious money placing bets.. good thing that I didn't have time to do so :smile: