Evaluating claims about a 15mm f/2.4 lens with neutrino coating

  • Thread starter Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
7,832
Reaction score
4,174
From a recent camera lens advertisement:

"Extraordinary optical performance
The [redacted] 15mm f/2.4 meets the most demanding requirements of modern cameras. Thanks to sophisticated optical construction and special neutrino coating, colour aberration, ghosting and flare effects have been reduced to the absolute minimum, so the lens is ready to meet the requirements of the 50+ megapixel sensors of the newest cameras."

Hmmmmm...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
I keep my neutrino coat in the closet.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Student100 and russ_watters
It's for astrophotography
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
It isn't even a lie. Those folks are basically everywhere ... Just caught one here. He thought I wouldn't recognize as he turned from ##\nu_\mu## to ##\nu_e##. But not with me!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith
Andy Resnick said:
From a recent camera lens advertisement:

"Extraordinary optical performance
The [redacted] 15mm f/2.4 meets the most demanding requirements of modern cameras. Thanks to sophisticated optical construction and special neutrino coating, colour aberration, ghosting and flare effects have been reduced to the absolute minimum, so the lens is ready to meet the requirements of the 50+ megapixel sensors of the newest cameras."

Hmmmmm...
Could you read the fine print? Did it say "Manufactured at Batavia (IL)"?
 
Is it powered by charged or neutral currents?
 
Could it just be a typo? I wonder what word would fit in its place?
Banana?
 
berkeman said:
Looks like it's just a Trademarked name for a custom optical coating...

http://trademark.markify.com/trademarks/wipo/neutrino+coating/1259497
Word of the moment?? Like everything was 'Atomic', when I was younger. I remember once buying an "atomic' garden trowel.
I had a mate who flew for BOAC to Africa regularly. Anything really really good was advertised as 'VC10' on market stalls.
 
sophiecentaur said:
Word of the moment?? Like everything was 'Atomic', when I was younger. I remember once buying an "atomic' garden trowel.
I had a mate who flew for BOAC to Africa regularly. Anything really really good was advertised as 'VC10' on market stalls.
However, they missed the trend. Nowadays everything is genetic.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sophiecentaur
Student100 said:
http://www.leftlanesports.com/product.aspx?p=CPP01236&a=GoogleBase&gclid=CM60mbKbgc8CFYphfgodDmoH8A

Is it this one?

I prefer the positron coat:

http://www.backcountry.com/rab-positron-down-jacket-mens?rr=t

Sometimes however, I run into someone wearing:

http://www.backcountry.com/rab-electron-down-jacket-mens?rr=t

And get annihilated.

You don't run into. That's your skin, dude! Have you never wondered where you got this terrible sunburn from, each time you wore it?
The neutrino jacket is probably a lot safer! If you can find it ...
 
http://www.leftlanesports.com/product.aspx?p=CPP01236&a=GoogleBase&gclid=CM60mbKbgc8CFYphfgodDmoH8A

Is it this one?

Impressive!
I was never able to get a picture of it. Moves too fast.
 
IMO, the trade name Tesla is a real liberty! It's like calling a car The Millennium Falcon - shooting (customer) fish in a barrel.
But I have to acknowledge the Tesla is a tasty piece of kit.