Evaluating distance of far objects in space

• Thread starter philhar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, technology advances have allowed telescopes to become more powerful, allowing us to see further into space. However, this does not mean that we are intercepting the light from distant objects earlier than with less powerful telescopes. The ability to see further is a result of better resolution, light collecting capabilities, and the use of different wavelengths. Therefore, the distance estimation of the objects viewed is not skewed by the use of more powerful telescopes.
philhar
This is question that has been on my mind for quite some time.

As technology advances, telescopes are more and more powerful. This means that we can see further and further out.
So if I look at an object (ie. a galaxy) with a powerful telescope don't I "intercept" the light earlier than I would with a less powerful telescope? By that I mean in a snapshot, don't I see a portion of the light emitted by the object viewed before it gets to Earth?
Leading to another question (if the above is coorect): does this skew the estimation of the distance at which the object viewed lies?
Or am I missing something (of which I have little doubt!) In writing this I am asking myself see the light before it gets to Earth where your telescope is situated? Hum!

Space news on Phys.org
philhar said:

As technology advances, telescopes are more and more powerful. This means that we can see further and further out.
Yes, for a variety of reasons...

philhar said:
So if I look at an object (ie. a galaxy) with a powerful telescope don't I "intercept" the light earlier than I would with a less powerful telescope? By that I mean in a snapshot, don't I see a portion of the light emitted by the object viewed before it gets to Earth?
No. The reason why you can see things further out with better telescopes is a combination of a few factors:

1. Better resolution. Objects far away are typically smaller, and therefore harder to resolve.
2. Better light collecting. Objects far away are typically very dim, so it may be difficult to separate them from the background.
3. New wavelengths. Objects far away are redshifted, and so may not appear in optical wavelengths at all. Telescopes that look at the infrared and longer wavelengths are needed for the furthest objects.

philhar said:

Leading to another question (if the above is coorect): does this skew the estimation of the distance at which the object viewed lies?
Or am I missing something (of which I have little doubt!) In writing this I am asking myself see the light before it gets to Earth where your telescope is situated? Hum!

telescopes catch the lights here on earth. that means view of the object must arrive Earth so we can detect it by our telescopes. this rule applies for all telescopes regardless of their power.

Thank you for your answers!

1. How do scientists measure the distance of far objects in space?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the distance of far objects in space. One common method is called parallax, which involves measuring the slight shift in an object's position when viewed from different angles. Another method is called spectroscopy, which analyzes the light emitted by the object to determine its distance.

2. Why is measuring the distance of far objects in space important?

Knowing the distance of far objects in space is crucial for understanding the size and scale of the universe. It also helps us to study the evolution of the universe and the movement of celestial bodies.

3. How accurate are the measurements of distance in space?

The accuracy of distance measurements in space can vary depending on the method used and the distance being measured. However, modern technology and advanced instruments have greatly improved the accuracy of these measurements, with some techniques achieving a margin of error of less than 1%.

4. Can we measure the distance of objects outside of our own galaxy?

Yes, scientists have developed methods for measuring the distance of objects outside of our own galaxy, such as using supernovae as standard candles or studying the redshift of distant galaxies. However, these measurements are often more challenging and less accurate than those within our own galaxy.

5. How has technology advanced our ability to measure distances in space?

Advancements in technology have greatly improved our ability to measure distances in space. For example, the development of space telescopes, such as Hubble and Spitzer, have allowed us to gather more precise measurements of distant objects. Additionally, advancements in computing and data analysis have enabled us to process and interpret vast amounts of data from space, leading to more accurate distance measurements.