1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Even and odd function question

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the only function which is both even and odd is [itex]f(x)=0[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

Since [itex]f(x)=0[/itex] is [itex]f(x)=0x[/itex] it is not hard to show that it is odd and even. In order to complete the proof I need to show that this is the only funcion. I know intuitively that if in [itex]f(x)=Ax[/itex] [itex]A\neq0[/itex] then the function is always either odd, even or neither. How should I complete the proof? What should I write?

Maybe: "Since, it is obvious that if [itex]A\neq0[/itex] the function is either ... " But is it really that obvious? Should I use proof by exhaustion and show that in all posible cases this is true (when A is positive, negative, fraction)?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2
    If a function f is both odd and even, then f(-x)=f(x) and f(-x)=-f(x), so...

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi mindauggas! :smile:

start "suppose f(x) is not 0 for all x, then …" :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook