Determine whether a logarithmic function is odd or even

In summary: \right)\\\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}+x} \right) \cdot \left(\frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}-x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}-x}...\right)\\=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}-x}{x^2+1-x^2}\\=\sqrt{x^2+1}-x
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author

Homework Statement

Determine function
$$f(x) = \log(\sqrt{x^2+1}+x)$$
Is odd or even.

Homework Equations

##\log(a+b) = \log(a) + \log(1+b/a)##

The Attempt at a Solution

First I thought it is a even function without considering the x at the end, which of course isn't the actual case.
Then I tried to use the formula above but still failed to determine it.
Maybe the formula works just that I can't see the point.
Are there any insights to how should I determine it?I am new to functions properties. Thanks!

Edit:I plot the function in a function drawer and found it to be an odd one, which cause I still don't know how to do it, the question remains.

Likes member 587159
Physics news on Phys.org
When I looked at the function, I immediately thought it was neither odd nor even. I then graphed the function and it looked pretty "odd". So I was mistaken!

We have to prove:

##f(-x) = -f(x)##

I suggest you start with the right side and use the rule ##-\log(x) = \log\frac{1}{x}##. You will then have a square root in the denominator, and there is a known trick to remove roots from the denominators (the same trick you use when you solve limits with roots).

Let me know if my hints were clear enough to get the right answer.

Likes ehild and Delta2
Young physicist said:

Homework Statement

Determine function
$$f(x) = \log(\sqrt{x^2+1}+x)$$
Is odd or even.

Homework Equations

##\log(a+b) = \log(a) + \log(1+b/a)##

The Attempt at a Solution

First I thought it is a even function without considering the x at the end, which of course isn't the actual case.
Then I tried to use the formula above but still failed to determine it.
Maybe the formula works just that I can't see the point.
Are there any insights to how should I determine it?I am new to functions properties. Thanks!

Edit:I plot the function in a function drawer and found it to be an odd one, which cause I still don't know how to do it, the question remains.
I like to use a test similar to##,\ -f(x) = f(-x) \,, \ ## which was suggested by @Math_QED .

That is: See if you can show that ##\ -f(-x) ## can be manipulated to give you ##f(x)## .

This is what I get so far:
Since ##-\log(x) = \log(1/x)##, I have to prove:
$$\log(\sqrt{x^2+1}-x) = \log(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}+x})$$
Which I lack the
Math_QED said:
there is a known trick to remove roots from the denominators (the same trick you use when you solve limits with roots).
Sorry @Math_QED ,but what is the trick? I only cover really really basic rationalizing denominators in junior high so I don’t know how to do that:-p

Likes member 587159
YoungPhysicist said:
This is what I get so far:
Since ##-\log(x) = \log(1/x)##, I have to prove:
$$\log(\sqrt{x^2+1}-x) = \log(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}+x})$$
Which I lack the

Sorry @Math_QED ,but what is the trick? I only cover really really basic rationalizing denominators in junior high so I don’t know how to do that:-p
Well that's exactly what you need to do. Either rationalize the denominator on the right hand side of the equation, or rationalize the numerator for the expression on the left hand side.

SammyS said:
Well that's exactly what you need to do. Either rationalize the denominator on the right hand side of the equation, or rationalize the numerator for the expression on the left hand side.
Sorry, But my problem is that I don’t know the method to rationalize the denominator of
$$ \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}+x}$$it’s I don’t know how to do it,i.e, I don’t know multiplying it by what.

Your denominator is of the form ##a+b## with ##a=\sqrt{x^2+1},b=x##. If you multiply it by ##a-b## then you ll get ##a^2-b^2## and it will eventually get rationalized.
So multiply both numerator and denominator by ##a-b=\sqrt{x^2+1}-x## and see what you get.

Likes SammyS
Thanks @Delta2 I remembered that formula:-p
I just kept think about ##(a+b)^2 = a^2+2ab+b^2## and can’t get rid of the square root:biggrin:So the solution goes like this:

$$ (\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}+x}) \cdot (\frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}-x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}-x})\\

=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}-x}{x^2+1-x^2}\\

=\sqrt{x^2+1}-x

$$

Which solves the problem.
Thanks again for @SammyS ,@Math_QED and @Delta2 for helping me out!

Last edited:
Likes member 587159 and Delta2
YoungPhysicist said:
Thanks @Delta2 I remembered that formula
I just kept think about ##(a+b)^2 = a^2+2ab+b^2## and can’t get rid of the square root :biggrin:So the solution goes like this:
$$ (\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}+x}) \cdot (\sqrt{x^2+1}-x)\\

=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}-x}{x^2+1-x^2}\\

=\sqrt{x^2+1}-x

$$
Which solves the problem.
Thanks again for @SammyS ,@Math_QED and @Delta2 for helping me out!
That should begin as:

##\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}+x} \right) \cdot \left( \frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}-x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}-x} \right)##​

Likes member 587159, Delta2 and YoungPhysicist
SammyS said:
That should begin as:

##\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}+x} \right) \cdot \left( \frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}-x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}-x} \right)##​
Oh yeah,right. Thread Fixed.

Note: for odd [itex]f [/itex] , the relation [itex] f(x)=-f(-x) [/itex] is equivalent to [itex] f(x)+f(-x)=0[/itex].

So,
[itex]
\begin{align*}
&\stackrel{?}{=}\log(\sqrt{x^2+1}+x)+\log(\sqrt{(-x)^2+1}+(-x))\\
&\stackrel{?}{=}\log( \sqrt{x^2+1}+x)+\log(\sqrt{x^2+1}-x)\\
&\stackrel{?}{=}\log(( \sqrt{x^2+1}+x)(\sqrt{x^2+1}-x))\\
&\stackrel{\checkmark}{=}\log(\qquad \qquad \qquad1\ \qquad\qquad\qquad )\\
\end{align*}
[/itex]

Likes SammyS, Delta2, member 587159 and 1 other person

1. What is a logarithmic function?

A logarithmic function is a mathematical function that represents the inverse of an exponential function. It is written in the form of y = logb(x), where b is the base of the logarithm.

2. How do you determine if a logarithmic function is odd or even?

To determine if a logarithmic function is odd or even, we can use the property that an odd function has a graph that is symmetric about the origin (0,0), while an even function has a graph that is symmetric about the y-axis. Therefore, we can check if the function satisfies this property to determine if it is odd or even.

3. Can a logarithmic function be both odd and even?

No, a logarithmic function cannot be both odd and even. This is because an odd function and an even function have different properties and cannot have the same graph.

4. What is the significance of determining if a logarithmic function is odd or even?

Determining if a logarithmic function is odd or even can help us understand the behavior of the function and its graph. It can also help us simplify calculations and make predictions about the function's values at different points.

5. Are there any other properties of logarithmic functions besides being odd or even?

Yes, there are other properties of logarithmic functions such as being increasing or decreasing, having a vertical asymptote, and having a horizontal asymptote. These properties can also help us understand the behavior of the function and its graph.