What causes painful skin during viral infections?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary, during a conversation at a coffee shop, a woman mentioned experiencing a strange "flu" in Portland a few years back that only caused excruciating arm pain as a symptom. The legitimacy of this alleged epidemic was questioned, as well as why it would be attributed to a flu without any other common symptoms. The distinction between an "influenza" virus and other viruses was also discussed. It was suggested that this particular "flu" may have been a psychogenic, mass hysteria type of illness. The conversation also touched on the use of the term "flu" to refer to any viral illness and the specific characteristics of influenza viruses. The conversation then turned to the experience of painful skin as a potential early sign of a
zoobyshoe
Ever heard of this "flu"?

I was talking to a woman tonight at a coffee shop who said she had been the victim of a strange "flu" that had gone through the Portland area a few years back. The only symptom was a pain in the arm that she described as like a hot knife being stabbed into the arm and twisted, a pain so bad that people were asking doctors to cut their arms off.

I wondered if this alleged epidemic ever actually happened (she wasn't someone I'd consider reliable) and if it did, why it would be ascribed to a flu. There appeared to be no other symptom except a mild fever.

So, my questions are:

1.)What has to be happening to constitute a "flu"?

and

2.) Has anyone heard of this alleged arm thing in Portland?

Biology news on Phys.org

Muscular pain is a symptom of flu but I'd be surprised if all it did was cause arm pain without the usual fevers, breathing problems etc. I can't find any mention of this Portland arm pain plague either.

It might be a genetic things because more times than not, when I get the Flu the first 1/3 of it my skin is very tender, almost painful to rub.

jacob622 said:
flu means nothing but its type of infection,,

I'm not sure what you mean here Jacob? Flu is the colloquial term for an infection by anyone of the Influenza viruses.

Ryan_m_b said:
I'm not sure what you mean here Jacob? Flu is the colloquial term for an infection by anyone of the Influenza viruses.
This might require a complex answer but, as simply as you can, what distinguishes an "influenza" virus from others? Airborne contagiousness? Or?

Greg Bernhardt said:
It might be a genetic things because more times than not, when I get the Flu the first 1/3 of it my skin is very tender, almost painful to rub.
Same here. However, she claimed she had this excruciating arm pain in the absence of any other common flu symptom with the exception of a mild fever.

zoobyshoe said:
This might require a complex answer but, as simply as you can, what distinguishes an "influenza" virus from others? Airborne contagiousness? Or?

Basically they are a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_family" of viruses. They're quite similar though, I'd be surprised to hear of one that only causes pain in the arm.

Last edited by a moderator:

zoobyshoe said:
Same here. However, she claimed she had this excruciating arm pain in the absence of any other common flu symptom with the exception of a mild fever.
It wasn't the flu then.

Why would she think a pain in her arm is the flu?

Ryan_m_b said:

check out his degree

Ryan_m_b said:
Basically they are a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_family" of viruses. They're quite similar though, I'd be surprised to hear of one that only causes pain in the arm.
OK. Thanks.
Evo said:
It wasn't the flu then.

Why would she think a pain in her arm is the flu?
That's what I wondered. She said a teacher she talked to had told her many kids in her (the teacher's) school had come down with the same symptom, and that it had been determined to be a flu.

If it actually happened it sounds more like some sort of psychogenic, mass hysteria type thing to me.

In her case she said the doc ruled out heart attack first, then had nothing else to offer except that she might have strained the muscle. She didn't get the "flu" notion from a doctor, just from the teacher.

People call lots of things "flu", but really they just mean viral illness. Like you hear people say "stomach flu", but there isn't an influenza virus that infects gastrointestinal epi.

You asked what "distinguishes" influenza. Aside from the common genetics (like back in the day, before sequencing was done) mode of infection, type of replication and type of material found in the viron.

In the case of influenza, they infect columnar epithelial cells in the respiratory tract. They bud from the apical surface (something that made the 1918 flu so deadly was its deviation from this, but that is another story for another night) of those cells. The genetic material is "negative-sense" RNA, which means it complimentary to mRNA. It must first be converted by viral polymerase to a readable strand before translation of viral proteins.

Perhaps we should separate the exploration of the sloppy use of the term 'flu' from the issue at-hand, which seems to be more about: is it possible that some viral intruder could cause just a specific and targeted symptom?

bobze said:
People call lots of things "flu", but really they just mean viral illness. Like you hear people say "stomach flu", but there isn't an influenza virus that infects gastrointestinal epi.

You asked what "distinguishes" influenza. Aside from the common genetics (like back in the day, before sequencing was done) mode of infection, type of replication and type of material found in the viron.

In the case of influenza, they infect columnar epithelial cells in the respiratory tract. They bud from the apical surface (something that made the 1918 flu so deadly was its deviation from this, but that is another story for another night) of those cells. The genetic material is "negative-sense" RNA, which means it complimentary to mRNA. It must first be converted by viral polymerase to a readable strand before translation of viral proteins.
With onset of a virus, a lot of people experience painful skin, as Greg described above. I can usually tell when a viral infection is taking hold because my skin on parts of my body hurts so bad, it hurts to be touched, even by clothing. I had read an article that discussed this years ago, but with all of the junk on the internet, I can't find a reference to this. Anything on what causes this?

Evo said:
With onset of a virus, a lot of people experience painful skin, as Greg described above. I can usually tell when a viral infection is taking hold because my skin on parts of my body hurts so bad, it hurts to be touched, even by clothing. I had read an article that discussed this years ago, but with all of the junk on the internet, I can't find a reference to this. Anything on what causes this?

I was going to say the term for this is paresthesia, but a quick ref check suggests that that term more properly applies to "pins & needles". Go figure.

bobze said:

Thanks. Yes, I would suspect the teacher used the term "flu" in the colloquial sense of a thing everyone seems to be catching, but the woman took it literally, and reported it as an actual form of influenza.
DaveC426913 said:
Perhaps we should separate the exploration of the sloppy use of the term 'flu' from the issue at-hand, which seems to be more about: is it possible that some viral intruder could cause just a specific and targeted symptom?
I'd be happy to have it authentically explained as a bacterial infection, or even a kind of poisoning.

The same woman told me she had an allergic reaction to vicoden. That sounded completely bogus till I googled and found that some percentage of people experience nausea as a side effect of vicoden and often erroneously conclude they are allergic to it.

Evo said:

Hey Evo, yes you are NOT crazy! This has a perfectly natural biological explanation :)

It turns out that most "symptoms of sickness" or at least ones we associate with being sick (whether its flu, viral, bacterial etc) are actually caused by our own body as a response to being infected.

This class of chemical warfare is called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine" . Cytokines do all sorts of things for us during infection--Both good and bad. They act as proliferative factors for leukocytes, they raise our temperature, they induce activation of leukocytes, they signal to the body which "type" of immune response is best (ie; cell mediated vs antibody mediated), they recruit leukocytes to the tissue, etc.

Unfortunately they do things which also make us feel "yucky", like mediate acute inflammatory response, cause the "wrong type" of immune reaction to occur, nausea, hyperalgesia (increased pain sensitivity) and skin sensitivity, etc. This can actually get so carried away in the case of some infections we have what is clinically called a "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm" "--Which results in a fatal immune reaction.

Hope that helps :P

1. What is the cause of this flu?

The flu is caused by a virus that is transmitted through respiratory droplets from an infected person.

2. How is this flu different from other types of flu?

This flu, also known as influenza A, is caused by a specific strain of the influenza virus called H1N1. It was first identified in 2009 and is different from other seasonal flu viruses.

3. What are the symptoms of this flu?

The symptoms of this flu include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, fatigue, and sometimes diarrhea and vomiting.

4. How is this flu treated?

There are antiviral medications that can be prescribed to help treat this flu. These medications work best when taken within the first 48 hours of experiencing symptoms. Rest, fluids, and over-the-counter medications can also help alleviate symptoms.

5. How can I prevent getting this flu?

The best way to prevent getting this flu is to get a flu vaccine. It is also important to practice good hygiene, such as washing your hands regularly and avoiding close contact with people who are sick.