Every event occurs as a consequence of some previous event

• Thread starter prasannapakkiam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of randomness and whether it truly exists or if it is simply a result of not knowing all variables and parameters. The main argument is that every event occurs as a consequence of a previous event, meaning that nothing can truly be random. However, this argument does not take into account the principles of quantum mechanics. The conversation also touches on the idea of knowing all details precisely, which is deemed impossible due to the limitations of measurement.
We seem to share some common ideas, I'm philosophical to mind, but of course philosophy along isn't the end of story, I have no intention of "prooving my philosophy" because I can't . That serves only one purpose, and that is to guide me forward.

In a certain senes, scientific models produce predictions and can thus be thought of like a black box, and some people not into philosophy only conclude if the black box is useful or not. So far that's fine. But of course, the interesting question is howto improve the black box, when it's wrong?

To explain my philosophy, my focus is not on the black box, it's on the evolution of the black box, relative to the previous state. I consider that to be more fundamental.

Time is the main problem, of hobby based research. But the major advantage OTHO is no affiliation, no worrying about pleasing funders. I have no reason whatsoever to take shortcuts because I'm fooling no one but myself.

/Fredrik

<h2>1. What is the meaning of "Every event occurs as a consequence of some previous event"?</h2><p>This statement refers to the concept of causality, which states that every event has a cause or a series of causes that led to its occurrence. In other words, nothing happens without a reason or without being influenced by something else.</p><h2>2. Is this statement universally accepted in the scientific community?</h2><p>Yes, the principle of causality is a fundamental concept in science and is widely accepted by the scientific community. It has been confirmed through countless observations and experiments and is a key component of many scientific theories and laws.</p><h2>3. Can you provide an example of how this statement applies in real life?</h2><p>Sure, let's take the example of a tree falling in the forest. The event of the tree falling is a consequence of previous events, such as strong winds, rotting roots, or a person cutting it down. Without these previous events, the tree would not have fallen.</p><h2>4. Are there any exceptions to this statement?</h2><p>There are some philosophical and theoretical debates about the existence of true random events, which would not have a cause or a consequence. However, in practical terms, this statement holds true for the vast majority of events in our observable universe.</p><h2>5. How does this statement relate to the concept of determinism?</h2><p>The statement "Every event occurs as a consequence of some previous event" is closely related to the concept of determinism, which suggests that all events are predetermined by previous causes. However, it is important to note that this statement does not necessarily imply that events are predetermined or that there is no room for free will or chance in the universe.</p>

1. What is the meaning of "Every event occurs as a consequence of some previous event"?

This statement refers to the concept of causality, which states that every event has a cause or a series of causes that led to its occurrence. In other words, nothing happens without a reason or without being influenced by something else.

2. Is this statement universally accepted in the scientific community?

Yes, the principle of causality is a fundamental concept in science and is widely accepted by the scientific community. It has been confirmed through countless observations and experiments and is a key component of many scientific theories and laws.

3. Can you provide an example of how this statement applies in real life?

Sure, let's take the example of a tree falling in the forest. The event of the tree falling is a consequence of previous events, such as strong winds, rotting roots, or a person cutting it down. Without these previous events, the tree would not have fallen.

4. Are there any exceptions to this statement?

There are some philosophical and theoretical debates about the existence of true random events, which would not have a cause or a consequence. However, in practical terms, this statement holds true for the vast majority of events in our observable universe.

5. How does this statement relate to the concept of determinism?

The statement "Every event occurs as a consequence of some previous event" is closely related to the concept of determinism, which suggests that all events are predetermined by previous causes. However, it is important to note that this statement does not necessarily imply that events are predetermined or that there is no room for free will or chance in the universe.