Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evidence of String Theory Found

1. Jun 19, 2010 #1
    I was reading through Wikipedia under 'String Theory' recently and discovered that within the lest week a Theoretical Physicist by the name of Kremlic Dormac has found evidence of String Theory within Isolated Monopoles. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory
    This is extremely interesting and the existence of Magnetic Monopoles is a substantial prediction made by Superstring Theory

If anyone cares to elaborate based on opinion or has more information on this exploration in String Theory please do so.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2010 #2
    So, somebody on wikipedia modified a page to claim that an obscure theoretician made an experimental discovery, and you decided to buy it ? Did you at least cross check any information ? Who is this theoretician, where does he work at, where can we find a publication for the monopole discovery ?

4. Jun 19, 2010 #3
    I am primarily asking for people's opinions in order to falsify or support this discovery through direct evidence which I have been unable to find. So I'll believe this to be true until someone can tell me otherwise. Do you think this is false? If so then I'll just end this thread. I created this thread so people can collaborate and information and be discovered easier rather than me searching endlessly as an individual.

5. Jun 19, 2010 #4
    Yes I do believe this is fake. Monopoles are "discovered" every now and then, sometimes even making it to publication. Note that in experimental sciences, a discovery (especially an important one) awaits for confirmation to be considered "true". Until confirmation it is just a claim. For confirmation, one needs a description in a publication detailed enough so that one can judge credibility and reproduce the experiment independently. Without publication, it is customary not to loose one's time. I am really saying : wikipedia is a great resource, but certainly requires cross-checks.

6. Jun 19, 2010 #5
    Thanks for the response, very insightful. I'm extremely curious and I just wanted a educated and knowledgeable response which you provided. I see that it's not right to assume until thorough verification and testing is conducted.

Thanks.

7. Jun 19, 2010 #6

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

I checked arxiv for Kremlic Dormac: zero hits.
    Then I checked google: two hits! one linking to physics forum, one to the Wikipedia article.

8. Jun 19, 2010 #7
    If a plausible discovery and especially if verified, it's a major discovery and will be reported as such.

9. Jun 20, 2010 #8

bapowell

Science Advisor

Magnetic monopoles are a generic prediction of most grand unified gauge field theories, and are not specific to string theory per se.

10. Jun 20, 2010 #9

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

11. Jun 20, 2010 #10
    Is that the Arabic Physics Forums?

12. Jun 21, 2010 #11

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

no idea - irony doesn't care about those minor details

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook