Gauge/Gravity duality and evidence for superstring theory

In summary, gauge/gravity duality is a conjecture derived from superstring theory and has been observed in various examples, such as AdS/CFT and Kerr/CFT. However, the relationship between gauge/gravity duality and string theory is still being debated and cannot be directly used as evidence for or against string theory. The terms "gauge/gravity correspondence" and "gauge/gravity duality" are often used interchangeably, but some argue that they should be distinguished.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I don't know much about gauge/gravity duality but I know that its a conjecture coming from superstring theory and one of its examples is AdS/CFT duality. Now I have two questions:

1) As I said, I know that gauge/gravity duality and superstring theory are related but I don't know how much. Is it enough relationship to imply that if gauge/gravity duality predictions about QGP, superconductors, etc. agree with experiments, then these can be counted as experimental evidence in favor of superstring theory and if they don't agree with experiments, these can be counted as evidence against superstring theory?

2) I've read about another example of gauge/gravity duality, Kerr/CFT. Is it as accepted as AdS/CFT(I know AdS/CFT is itself still a conjecture but people are using it anyway)? Is there any other example of gauge/gravity duality?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There are various arguments for validity of gauge/gravity correspondence. Some of these arguments are based on string theory, but other arguments are not. Thus, if gauge/gravity correspondence predictions about QGP, superconductors, etc. agree with experiments, that cannot be directly taken as experimental evidence in favor of string theory. Likewise, if they don't agree with experiments, that cannot be directly taken as experimental evidence against string theory.

Last edited:
Another general comment. The notions of gauge/gravity correspondence and gauge/gravity duality are usually considered to be synonyms. I think these two concepts should be distinguished:
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1507.00591

1. What is gauge/gravity duality?

Gauge/gravity duality is a theoretical framework that relates two seemingly different theories: the theory of gravity in higher-dimensional space and the theory of quantum field theory in lower-dimensional space. It suggests that these two theories are actually equivalent, and can be used to solve problems in one theory by translating them to the other.

2. How does gauge/gravity duality provide evidence for superstring theory?

Gauge/gravity duality is one of the main pieces of evidence for superstring theory. This is because it allows us to understand the behavior of black holes in terms of a lower-dimensional quantum field theory, which is a key aspect of superstring theory. Additionally, the duality has been successfully applied to other areas of physics, such as condensed matter systems, providing further support for the validity of superstring theory.

3. What are some examples of evidence for gauge/gravity duality and superstring theory?

One of the most well-known examples is the AdS/CFT correspondence, which relates a theory of gravity in anti-de Sitter space (AdS) to a conformal field theory (CFT) in one less dimension. This duality has been extensively tested in various scenarios and has consistently shown agreement between the two theories. Other examples include the holographic principle and the calculation of black hole entropy using string theory techniques.

4. Are there any experiments or observations that support gauge/gravity duality and superstring theory?

Currently, there are no direct experiments or observations that confirm the validity of gauge/gravity duality and superstring theory. However, there have been attempts to test the duality in laboratory settings, such as using cold atoms to simulate black holes. Additionally, the predictions and implications of gauge/gravity duality have been successfully applied to other areas of physics, providing indirect evidence for its validity.

5. What are some current challenges or limitations of gauge/gravity duality and superstring theory?

One of the main challenges is the lack of experimental verification. As mentioned earlier, there are attempts to test aspects of the duality, but a direct experimental confirmation is still needed. Additionally, there are ongoing debates and discussions about the mathematical consistency and completeness of superstring theory. Other limitations include the complexity and difficulty in applying the duality to real-world scenarios, as well as the need for further developments and advancements in the theory.