Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauge/Gravity duality and evidence for superstring theory

1. Sep 23, 2015 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I don't know much about gauge/gravity duality but I know that its a conjecture coming from superstring theory and one of its examples is AdS/CFT duality. Now I have two questions:

1) As I said, I know that gauge/gravity duality and superstring theory are related but I don't know how much. Is it enough relationship to imply that if gauge/gravity duality predictions about QGP, superconductors, etc. agree with experiments, then these can be counted as experimental evidence in favor of superstring theory and if they don't agree with experiments, these can be counted as evidence against superstring theory?

2) I've read about another example of gauge/gravity duality, Kerr/CFT. Is it as accepted as AdS/CFT(I know AdS/CFT is itself still a conjecture but people are using it anyway)? Is there any other example of gauge/gravity duality?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2015 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

There are various arguments for validity of gauge/gravity correspondence. Some of these arguments are based on string theory, but other arguments are not. Thus, if gauge/gravity correspondence predictions about QGP, superconductors, etc. agree with experiments, that cannot be directly taken as experimental evidence in favor of string theory. Likewise, if they don't agree with experiments, that cannot be directly taken as experimental evidence against string theory.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  4. Sep 24, 2015 #3

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Another general comment. The notions of gauge/gravity correspondence and gauge/gravity duality are usually considered to be synonyms. I think these two concepts should be distinguished:
    http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1507.00591

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook