Evidence for UV finiteness of M-theory?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evidence M-theory Uv
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
14,925
Reaction score
7,634
Is there any evidence that M-theory (where M may stand for Matrix, Membrane, or whatever ...) could be UV finite? I am not asking for a proof (because I know there is none), but only for a piece of evidence or an argument which is more than a pure wish.
If you know about such evidence, an appropriate reference would be welcome. :smile:

And please, don't talk me about UV finiteness of string theory. I already know that very well, but string theory is not M-theory.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I studied a paper some time ago where the idea was to construct an superspace measure for string theory for 3 and 4 loops (genus) to attack this issue in string theory; afaik beyond 4 loops no results are known (I am perfectly aware of the fact that this is not really an answer to your question regarding M-theory ...)
 
Hmm. What is the scale and coupling of M-theory?

I mean, string theory has a scale (planck mass) and an adimensional constant (dilaton coupling). If I use the M-theory compactification trick to remove any of them, either I am left without any coupling to renormalize, or I am left without an scale to refer to.
 
Actually, I would use the size of the 11th dimension to define the Planck mass scale, and then use the extant dimensionless coupling to refer to some parameter in an infinitesimal 12th dimension. But this is my like; I do not know how strings theoreticians play this game.