Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Examples of units with non-integer exponents

1. Jan 22, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone,

Would anyone be able to give me a few examples of places where units with non-integer exponents come up? I know of a couple right now: noise voltage density (?) in electronics has units [itex]\text{V}/\text{Hz}^\frac{1}{2}[/itex] and the statcoulomb has equivalent units [itex]\text{cm}^\frac{3}{2}\cdot\text{g}^\frac{1}{2}/\text{s}[/itex].

Are there many other places? One answer here on Stack Overflow says that they are "quite common" but I can't think of any other places where they come up.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2016 #2
    When writing the rate equations in chemical kinetics problems we often see non integer exponents for the concentrations. This leads to some interesting units for other factors in the equations.

4. Jan 23, 2016 #3

David Lewis

Gold Member

The endurance parameter for an airplane is lift coefficient^3/2 divided by drag coefficient.
    Cube loading is weight divided by wing area^3/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook