Excellent Physics Book to Enhance Problem Solving Skills?

In summary, A high school student is seeking suggestions for books that focus on word problems and math solving in basic to advanced physics. They are determined to improve their skills in order to achieve their dream of becoming a great scientist. Some suggested books are Problems in General Physics by Irodov and Krotov's Aptitude Test Problems in Physics, which are commonly used for Olympiad preparation. Complete solutions for Irodov's book can be found online.
googley71
I'm a High School Student and I love studying Physics, but my main problem is, I sometimes get careless and sometimes uncritical to the word problems given in our Physics class, though, I get decent grades in Physics, I feel that I'm not yet satisfied with my skills in it, its seems that I still need to improve greatly to fulfill my dream - which is to be a very great scientist, I unselfishly want to be excellent.

Can you suggest me books that are word problem and math solving oriented, which covers Basic Physics to Advanced Physics, and especially, those who enhance the critical thinking skills and logic of the reader?

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, for High School level?

Perhaps those Olympiad physics problems?

Ashuron said:
Hmm, for High School level?

Perhaps those Olympiad physics problems?

Yes it can also be, but, as much as possible, those with answers, solutions and explanations, Thank you very much

How about Problems in general physics by Irodov..
It mentioned several times in this forum..
In my country, it is used as olympiad preparation..
Other similar book will be Krotov's Aptitude Test Problems in Physics
Try to locate them in your public library, because they are not widely available..

Complete solutions of Irodov are available in the internet
I got a pdf copy of the solutions if you want..

just PM me

I can definitely understand your desire to improve your problem-solving skills in physics. One book that I would highly recommend is "Solving Physics Problems" by Robert G. Fuller. This book covers a wide range of topics in physics, from basic concepts to advanced theories, and includes numerous word problems and math-solving exercises to help improve your skills. It also emphasizes critical thinking and logical reasoning, which are essential skills for any scientist.

Another great resource is "Thinking Physics" by Lewis Carroll Epstein. This book presents physics concepts in a fun and engaging way, using puzzles and thought experiments to challenge your problem-solving abilities. It also includes a section specifically dedicated to improving problem-solving skills.

In addition to these books, I would also suggest practicing regularly with past exam papers and working on problems from reputable physics textbooks. This will help you become more familiar with the types of problems you may encounter in your exams and improve your ability to apply your knowledge to new situations.

Remember, becoming an excellent scientist takes time and dedication, but with the right resources and practice, you can achieve your dream. Good luck!

1. What makes this particular physics book excellent for enhancing problem solving skills?

This physics book is excellent for enhancing problem solving skills because it presents complex concepts in a clear and concise manner, provides numerous practice problems with detailed solutions, and offers additional resources such as online tutorials and interactive simulations.

2. Can this book be used by students of all levels?

Yes, this book is suitable for students of all levels, from beginners to advanced level. It covers a wide range of topics and presents the material in a way that is accessible to all learners.

3. How does this book teach problem solving skills specifically?

This book teaches problem solving skills by providing step-by-step solutions to practice problems, highlighting important concepts and techniques, and offering tips and strategies for approaching different types of problems.

4. Is this book focused on theoretical concepts or practical applications?

This book strikes a balance between theoretical concepts and practical applications. It covers the fundamental principles of physics while also providing real-world examples and applications to help students understand the relevance of the material.

5. How can this book help me prepare for exams?

This book can help you prepare for exams by offering a large variety of practice problems, including multiple choice questions, conceptual questions, and numerical problems. It also includes end-of-chapter review questions and provides tips for effective studying and test-taking strategies.