Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Excel's solver like tool for Linux

1. Jul 10, 2008 #1
    Hello,

Does anyone know about a tool like the Solver of Excel for linux?

Of course it's possible to program one for each task with Maxima, though, it's pretty comfortable to use a generic existing tool like the Solver...

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2008 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If we stick to similar tools as excel's solver openoffice has some solver add-ons which work with nonlinear eqs and it has a sort of a goal seek feature by default. Gnumeric being very similar to these 2 has a built in solver. KDE's office suite probably has something similar (? gnome man myself). And can install office using wine if want to "contaminate" your linux.

4. Jul 10, 2008 #3
    Thanks. I rather to stick to a similar tool, but it's not necessary. Everything that will be easier (and faster) then programming it for a specific problem each time in Maxima.

Actually I tried OOo and gnumeric. Maybe I didn't operate it very well (though it's hard for me to believe it can be too much complicated), but it didn't succeed to solve even basic problems (like abs(exp(x)-1)), while I need it for more complicated problems (like Hohmann transfers).

Anyhow, thanks a lot!

5. Jul 10, 2008 #4

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In Oo you can play around with different solvers via extensions, like http://kohei.us/ooo/solver/ got running on mine now (got a non-distro version of Oo 2.4 so that doesn't mess my install since it doesn't have a solver installed by default), one cool thing about Oo.

6. Jul 10, 2008 #5
    Nice! I didn't know about the solver plug-ins.
    I'll check it tomorrow (I have to install OO, my copy is from the distribution repositories...)
    Thanks!:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?