Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exercises and problems on QED and QFT ?

1. Feb 4, 2008 #1

kvl

I'm trying to study QFT using P&S book. Now I'm on the chapter 13 but I feel that I'm rather bad at solving practical problems on QFT and QED. Could anyone suggest a good source of problems (preferably with solutions) on QFT and QED (near the level of P&S ch. 1-13) to practise ? Thanks in advance !

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2008 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

Er,... you said you're trying to study QFT using P&S. Do you mean you're just reading
    through P&S, or have you actually worked through every line in the text pen-in-hand?
    (Some of the steps are non-trivial). And have you solved all the exercises in P&S so far?
    [Prof Peskin has some handwritten solutions on his website. There are also some solutions
    on the MIT website.]

4. Feb 4, 2008 #3

kvl

On the first reading I've solved approx. one exercise from each chapter, but now I'm solving the remaining ones. And of course I've repeated some of the calculations in the text myself.

What I want is some way to check myself. For example by solving exercises and checking if the answers were correct. Having solutions to exercises from P&S would be very cool but I'm still unable to find them (several hours of googling and looking through the website of Prof Peskin yield nothing - probably I'm just unlucky).

5. Feb 5, 2008 #4
  6. Feb 5, 2008 #5

kvl

Thanks for the links !

7. Feb 5, 2008 #6

kdv

as for books, there are

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/35...TF8&coliid=I2F1ULD4CZZGE8&colid=1GHN4DXAXMVQB

http://www.amazon.com/Gauge-Theory-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202227791&sr=1-1

(this last one is a companion to Cheng and Li's Particle physics book)

http://www.amazon.com/Selected-Prob..._oe_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202227819&sr=1-1

(not presently available but maybe your library has it. It's a neat book, filled with problems and their solutions, mostly particle physics stuff)

And a coming book "Field Theory demystified" by david McMahon

I would also suggest any of Greiner's books (on field quantization, QED, QCD, Electroweak Theory, etc) because he does a lot of examples in *great* details, showing all the steps that most other books skip. So it's great to learn how to *do* field theory and particle physics.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  8. Feb 5, 2008 #7

strangerep

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?