Exhaust/Flue Gas Analysis & Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a heat exchanger to recover heat from a 2 MW stationary IC Engine using CNG as fuel. The speaker is seeking information on the exhaust gas temperature of the products, specifically at the inlet of the heat exchanger. They plan to simplify their calculations by ignoring efficiencies and losses of equipment. The conversation also mentions the use of lean-burn Otto-cycle engines and the potential for higher NOx and hydrocarbon emissions. Suggestions for helpful resources, such as books and software for flue gas analysis, are also welcome.
rafistyle
Hi eveyone,

I am working on project of designing a heat exhanger in order to recover heat from a exhaust of Stationary IC Engine producing power of about 2 MW. The fuel used for combustion is CNG. Most of the books I read, tells about the products that will be produced in exhaust after combustion occurs according to mass or volume.
But I need to know the exhaust gas "temperature" of the products, which will be offcourse at the Inlet of HX that I will design.

For simplicity at first, I want to narrow-down my calculations on Ideal basis i.e. that is I am ignoring the efficiencies and any thermal/mechanical losses of the equipments.

Any kind of help in this regard is welcome. Suggestion Good books/softwares for Flue gas analysis is also appreciated.

Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
rafistyle,

Welcome to PF!

The exhaust gas temperature to expect will depend upon the set-up of your IC engine... ie; lean vs rich - see;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_natural_gas

"Lean-burn Otto-cycle engines can achieve higher thermal efficiencies than stoichiometric Otto-cycle engines, at the expense of higher NOx and hydrocarbon emissions."

Your engine manufacturer should have some useful data.

As to the exchanger design itself, this type of equipment has been used off-shore for decades. The typical installation uses the exhaust of a turbine generator set to recycle glycol for NG drying use.

1. What is exhaust/flue gas analysis?

Exhaust/flue gas analysis is a process of measuring and analyzing the composition of the gas emitted from a combustion process. It involves collecting a sample of the gas and using various instruments and techniques to determine the concentrations of different gases present, such as carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and oxygen.

2. Why is exhaust/flue gas analysis important?

Exhaust/flue gas analysis is important for several reasons. It helps to ensure that combustion processes are operating efficiently and safely, as well as meeting environmental regulations. It can also provide information about potential problems or malfunctions in the combustion system.

3. How is exhaust/flue gas analysis performed?

Exhaust/flue gas analysis is typically performed using specialized equipment, such as gas analyzers, which can measure the concentrations of different gases in the sample. The sample is usually collected using a probe inserted into the exhaust/flue pipe, and the data is then analyzed and interpreted by a trained technician or scientist.

4. What calculations are involved in exhaust/flue gas analysis?

There are several calculations that may be involved in exhaust/flue gas analysis, depending on the specific goals and parameters of the analysis. Some common calculations include determining the combustion efficiency, excess air, and heat loss of the system. These calculations can help to identify areas for improvement and optimize the combustion process.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when performing exhaust/flue gas analysis?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when performing exhaust/flue gas analysis. These include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, ensuring proper ventilation in the area, and following safety protocols for handling and analyzing potentially hazardous gases. It is also important to have a trained and knowledgeable person perform the analysis to minimize the risk of accidents or errors.