Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion of the solution if interacting KG equation

1. Oct 1, 2015 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

The exponentials ##\phi_p(x)=e^{ipx} ##(where ## px=p_\mu x^\mu##), are solutions of the free KG equation ## (\partial_\mu \partial^\mu+m^2) \phi =0##. I can expand the solutions of the interacting KG equation ## (\partial_\mu \partial^\mu+m^2)\psi=V\psi ## in terms of solutions of the free KG equation ## \psi(x)=\int e^{ipx} \pi(p) d^4p ##.
    But because there is an interaction, it seems to me that the evolution of ## \psi(x) ## should be different from a free field and so I think the function ##\pi## should also be a function of time. But because we want to think covariantly and also because it seems a natural generalization to let the field have different expansion coefficients in different events of space-time, I think we should let ## \pi ## depend on all four coordinates, i.e. we should write ## \psi(x)=\int e^{ipx} \pi(p,x) d^4p ##
    Is this the right way of thinking about it?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2015 #2
    It seems an advanced level question requiring tensors.
    Please make the question simple if possible!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook