Expectation: Is this proposition true or false?

• Thread starter LoadedAnvils
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expectation
In summary, the conversation discusses the limit as x approaches infinity of x[1 - F(x)] = 0, where F is the CDF of a continuous random variable X and E(X) exists. The person has tried various methods to prove or disprove this, but has not been successful. A hint is given for the case where X is nonnegative, and it is mentioned that the limiting property is the same for X_+ = max{X, 0}. The person then understands and thanks the other speaker for their help.
LoadedAnvils
If X is a continuous random variable and E(X) exists, does the limit as x→∞ of x[1 - F(x)] = 0?

I encountered this, but so far I have neither been able to prove this, nor find a counterexample. I have tried the mathematical definition of the limit, l'Hopital's rule, integration by parts, a double integral (through expectation), and various proof scribbles, but so far, nothing has worked. Can anyone help me with this?

EDIT: In this case, the function F is the CDF of X.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A hint, for the case where [itex]X\geq 0:[/itex]

[tex]\mathbb E X = \int_0^\infty xf(x)dx \geq \int_0^{\bar x} xf(x)dx + \bar x\int_{\bar x}^\infty f(x)dx.[/tex]

Think about the pieces of that, and think about limits as [itex] \bar x \to \infty. [/itex]

I'm aware of that, and I know how to prove it for the case of [itex]X \geq 0[/itex], but I'm confused about the case of the entire real line.

Also, what do you mean by [itex]\overline{x}[/itex]?

I was just using [itex]\bar x[/itex] as another stand-in variable.

If you know how to prove it for nonnegative-valued [itex]X[/itex], then you're basically done. The limiting property you care about is the same for [itex]X_+ = \text{max}\{X,0\}[/itex].

What do you mean by limiting property?

Oh! I get it now! Thank you so much!

1. What is the definition of expectation in science?

In science, expectation refers to a prediction or hypothesis about the outcome of an experiment or observation. It can be based on previous knowledge, data, or theories.

2. How does expectation affect scientific research?

Expectation can influence the way a scientist conducts their research, as they may be more likely to look for evidence that supports their hypothesis rather than being open to all possible outcomes. This is known as confirmation bias and can potentially lead to inaccurate conclusions.

3. Is expectation necessary in science?

Expectation is not necessary for science to function, as the scientific method relies on empirical evidence and reproducibility rather than personal beliefs or biases. However, having an expectation or hypothesis can guide the direction of research and help scientists make predictions.

4. How can scientists avoid bias in their expectations?

Scientists can reduce bias in their expectations by being aware of their own preconceived notions and actively seeking out evidence that goes against their hypothesis. Collaborating with other researchers and performing blind experiments can also help minimize bias.

5. Can expectation ever be beneficial in science?

Yes, having an expectation or hypothesis can be beneficial in science as it provides a starting point for research and can help scientists make predictions and guide their experiments. However, it is important for scientists to remain open-minded and be willing to revise or reject their expectations if the evidence does not support them.