Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected value of complex gaussian

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    What is the expected value of the following expression

[itex]exp(|z+\mu|)[/itex],

where [itex]\mu[/itex] is a real constant and [itex]z=x+jy[/itex] such that [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are independent Gaussian random variables each with zero mean and [itex]\sigma^2[/itex] variance.

When I try to take the expectation, I couldn't obtain a gaussian integral, so I couldn't take the expectation. So, can we obtain the expected value of the above exponential in a closed form?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

After a substitution ##y=r\cos(\phi)##, ##x=r \sin(\phi)-\mu##, the one of the two integrals looks possible. I did not check the other integral.

4. Mar 22, 2013 #3
    Thank you for your reply. Then, I have carried out the following integral:

[itex]\frac{1}{2\pi\sigma^2} \int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{∞} exp({-\frac{r^2-2r\mu sin(\phi) + 2\sigma^2r + \mu^2}{2\sigma^2}})rdrd\phi[/itex]

The result is

[itex]exp({-\frac{\mu^2}{2\sigma^2}})\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}}\int_0^{2\pi} (\mu sin(\phi) - \sigma^2) exp(\frac{(\mu sin(\phi) - \sigma^2)^2}{2\sigma^2})Q(-\frac{\mu sin(\phi) - \sigma^2}{\sigma})d\phi [/itex]

If I've correctly found this result, even the first integral does not have a closed form due to the Q-function. So, any idea to find an approximate closed form for this integral?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  5. Mar 23, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

How do you get that Q function? A linear substitution simplifies the first integral to ##(r+r_0)e^{-r^2}## (neglecting prefactors), which gives a Gaussian integral and a component with an antiderivative.

6. Mar 23, 2013 #5
    First, let me correct my result that I have given above. The correct version will be as follows:

[itex]exp({-\frac{\mu^2}{2\sigma^2}})(1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}}\int_0^{2\pi} (\mu sin(\phi) - \sigma^2) exp(\frac{(\mu sin(\phi) - \sigma^2)^2}{2\sigma^2})Q(-\frac{\mu sin(\phi) - \sigma^2}{\sigma})d\phi) [/itex]

The Q-function has the following form:

[itex]Q(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{x}^{∞}exp(-r^2/2)dr[/itex]

So, the term corresponding to [itex]r_0e^{-r^2}[/itex] can be expressed by the Q-function. If we go other way around, I mean if we take integral w.r.t. [itex]\phi[/itex] first, then we get a Bessel function of the first kind. In either case, we don't have a closed form. So, can we get an approximate closed form?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  7. Mar 23, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

I don't see how you get the Q function.
    $$\int_0^\infty r_0 e^{-r^2} dr = r_0 \int_0^\infty e^{-r^2} dr = r_0 \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}$$

Edit: Oh, that is a result of the linear substitution.
    Okay, I see... and I don't know how to avoid that.

8. Mar 23, 2013 #7
    The lower limit does not become 0 if you expand the expression. I mean the linear substitution changes the lower limit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook