Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential of Gaussian Distribution

1. May 20, 2013 #1
    I'm looking for the expected value of an exponential Gaussian

[itex]Y=\text{exp}(jX) \text{ where } X\text{~}N(\mu,\sigma^2) [/itex]

From wolframalpha, http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=expected+value+of+exp%28j*x%29+where+x+is+gaussian

[itex]E[Y]=\text{exp}(j^2\sigma^2/2+j\mu)[/itex]

If I were to use the expected value definition:
    [itex]E[Y]=\int_{-\infty}^\infty uf_Y(u)du[/itex]
    then I would have to figure out the pdf of Y.

I'm having trouble remembering how to get the pdf of Y, is there a more explicit way to derive the expected value?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can do it directly by evaluating ∫exp(ix)f(x)dx where f(x) is the normal density function. Also note that this is simply φ(1) where φ(t) is the characteristic function of this particular normal distribution.

4. May 24, 2013 #3
    What mathman said is right - I just wanted to add a couple of things:

1) The Law of the Unconscious Statistician is a snarky name for the usual way to find the EV of a function of a random variable.

##
    E[y(X)] = \int y(x) f_X(x) dx
    ##
    ##
    E[e^{jX}] = \frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}} \int e^{jx} e^{-\frac{(x-\mu)^2}{2 \sigma^2}} dx
    ##

2) Exponentials of Gaussians show up often enough to have their own name. If ##Y = \exp(X)##, then ##Y## has a lognormal distribution. The name 'lognormal' is a reminder that ##\log(Y)## is normally distributed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook