Expected values: three fair coins

• MHB
  • Thread starter oyth94
  • Start date
In summary: Re: expected values: three fair coinsThe probability to have k heads in 3 trials is $\displaystyle \frac{\binom{3}{k}}{8}$, so that... $P\{k=0\} = \frac{1}{8}$ $P\{k=1\} = \frac{3}{8}$$P\{k=2\} = \frac{3}{8}$$P\{k=3\} = \frac{1}{8}$
oyth94
Suppose you roll three fair coins, and let X be the cube of the number of heads
showing. Compute E(X)

I started this question with X=xi where i = 1,2,3 since there are 3 fair coins and there are either 1 2 or 3 heads that will show up. then it says that X will be the cube of the number of heads so I put
P(getting heads) = (1/2)^(i^3)
So E(X) = \(\displaystyle xiP(X=xi)\) = \(\displaystyle i(1/2)^(i^3)\) summation from i=1 to 3..
am i on the right track??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: expected values: three fair coins

oyth94 said:
Suppose you roll three fair coins, and let X be the cube of the number of heads
showing. Compute E(X)

I started this question with X=xi where i = 1,2,3 since there are 3 fair coins and there are either 1 2 or 3 heads that will show up. then it says that X will be the cube of the number of heads so I put
P(getting heads) = (1/2)^(i^3)
So E(X) = \(\displaystyle xiP(X=xi)\) = \(\displaystyle i(1/2)^(i^3)\) summation from i=1 to 3..
am i on the right track??

Not quite (and you mean flip 3 fair coins...not roll... XD); since $X$ represents the cube of the number of heads, you instead want $x_1=1^3=1$, $x_2=2^3=8$ and $x_3=3^3=27$. Then $\mathbb{P}(X=x_i)$ would represent the probability of getting 1, 2, or 3 heads; in this case, we would have $\mathbb{P}(X=x_i)=\dfrac{1}{2^i}$, $i=1,2,3$. Thus,
\[E[X]=\sum_{i=1}^3 x_i\mathbb{P}(X=x_i)=\ldots\]

I hope this makes sense!

Chris L T521 said:
Not quite (and you mean flip 3 fair coins...not roll... XD); since $X$ represents the cube of the number of heads, you instead want $x_1=1^3=1$, $x_2=2^3=8$ and $x_3=3^3=27$. Then $\mathbb{P}(X=x_i)$ would represent the probability of getting 1, 2, or 3 heads; in this case, we would have $\mathbb{P}(X=x_i)=\dfrac{1}{2^i}$, $i=1,2,3$. Thus,

I hope this makes sense!

Oh I see what you did! Thank you so much!

Chris L T521 said:
$\mathbb{P}(X=x_i)=\dfrac{1}{2^i}$, $i=1,2,3$. Thus,
i have a doubt(probably elementary),
you have assumed probability of getting one head is \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\).But i think it is the probability to get at least one head ,doesn't that include cases of \(\displaystyle 2\) or \(\displaystyle 3\) heads and why isn't the probability \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2^3}\) for all cases
(i mean why aren't we taking exact probability here)

mathworker said:
i have a doubt(probably elementary),
you have assumed probability of getting one head is \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\).But i think it is the probability to get at least one head ,doesn't that include cases of \(\displaystyle 2\) or \(\displaystyle 3\) heads and why isn't the probability \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2^3}\) for all cases
(i mean why aren't we taking exact probability here)

The probability to have k heads in 3 trials is $\displaystyle \frac{\binom{3}{k}}{8}$, so that...

$P\{k=0\} = \frac{1}{8}$

$P\{k=1\} = \frac{3}{8}$

$P\{k=2\} = \frac{3}{8}$

$P\{k=3\} = \frac{1}{8}$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

got it,changing the positions we could get 3 possibilities of eight , thank you

1. What is the expected number of heads when flipping three fair coins?

The expected number of heads when flipping three fair coins is 1.5. This means that, on average, you can expect to get 1.5 heads when flipping three fair coins.

2. How is the expected value calculated for three fair coins?

The expected value for three fair coins is calculated by multiplying the probability of each possible outcome (0, 1, 2, or 3 heads) by its respective value and then summing them up. In this case, the probability of getting 0 heads is 1/8, 1 head is 3/8, 2 heads is 3/8, and 3 heads is 1/8.

3. Why is the expected value for three fair coins not a whole number?

The expected value for three fair coins is not a whole number because it is a mathematical concept that represents the average of all possible outcomes. In this case, the possible outcomes (0, 1, 2, or 3 heads) are not evenly distributed, so the average is not a whole number.

4. Is the expected value for three fair coins the same as the most likely outcome?

No, the expected value for three fair coins is not necessarily the most likely outcome. It is the average of all possible outcomes, but it does not guarantee that it will be the outcome of any individual trial. For example, the most likely outcome for three fair coins is 1 head, but the expected value is 1.5 heads.

5. How can expected value be used in real-world situations?

Expected value can be used in real-world situations to make decisions based on probability and potential outcomes. For example, a company may use expected value to determine the potential profitability of a new product or a gambler may use expected value to decide which bet to place. It is a useful tool for evaluating risk and making informed decisions.