Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Expired Referenced Articles

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Often, we reference online articles.. and I notice some do expire..
    Many posts do not make much sense without them.

Would there be a possibility of archiving those articles offline at PF
    and be able link them in, if the old URL expires? (assuming we gain
    permission from the originating site to repost).

I have begun to archive links that I have referenced on posts, to my own PC.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2008 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

~nudge~

4. Dec 25, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In most cases that would probably be copyright infringement. And there is no way that we could get permission from every source to repost.

I have had pretty good luck finding alternative sources for dead links.

5. Dec 25, 2008 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I think it best to reference a source as one would in a journal article: with author, title, date (publisher) in addition to the link. Are these e-journal articles? If it's news articles, newspapers ususally archive articles by date.

I'd recommend PMing a mentor to edit previous posts with expired references.

6. Dec 25, 2008 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is best to use a DOI (Digital Object Identifier).

7. Dec 26, 2008 #6

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks all these great replies!! Yes I've noticed scientific papers and many news sources, tend to be more stable in long term availability. That DOI sounds quite useful too. Perhaps more sites will adopt that protocol.

Well here is an example of an expired reference; in my post, regarding a specific program viewed on Discovery Channel about woolly mammoths that originally aired in 1999. There was a nice synopsis providing a description and images from that program, on the page. But now that reference, no longer exists.

Dead links could easily occur on academic websites. Lets say you referenced material a graduate student posted about a technical concept, off their homepage. When the student graduates, those accounts (along with their pages) may be deleted. Professors & academic staff will maintain accounts over longer periods, but they are not obligated to keep all material posted indefinately.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  8. Jan 13, 2009 #7
    While it may be considered as a copyright infringement - there's also something called "Fair Use" and under this fair use - the OP's idea will fall under this clause meaning no copyright infringement has occurred as long it remains under the Fair Use doctrine.

Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C. § 107

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?