Explaining basic mathematics to a math illiterate

In summary, the conversation discussed explaining the concept of exponents to someone who was struggling with understanding it. The suggestion was made to explain it as repeated multiplication or addition, and to use numerical examples to help visualize the concept. The idea of using dimensions to understand powers was also mentioned, but it was acknowledged that this may not be the most effective approach.
yyttr2
The other day, someone came to me with the deep desire to learn the basics of algebra and he believed it would be best, not to get his information for say...a book, but rather a student.

So, I thought it would be evil not to help him. I started off with basic arithmetic put into algebraic logic.
I.E. x+5=6 or x+7=6
and then, I got to exponents.
I gave him the problem: [tex]x^{2}=9[/tex]
He asked me what the super script '2' truly meant.
Now, I have always thought of [tex]x^{2}[/tex] as a two dimensional representation of a one dimensional quantity (I.E. a one dimensional line with the length of x, and to square x is to extent it equally into the second dimension or...to make it a square). I tried to explain this to him, and that to find the value of x, you just had to think of the nine as a two dimensional quantity, and represent it as a one dimensional line.

He looked to perplexed no matter how much I tried to explain it... I tried to tell him just to think of it in terms of blocks...still nothing.

Can anyone give me a better way to explain this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perhaps just explain what the notation means rather than an interpretation. The power of 2 in x2 is the same as 2 x's being multiplied together: x2 = x*x = 9. A power of 3 in x3 then is the same as 3 x's being multiplied together.

Or, maybe try to show him an 'inductive' structure for an nth power. That is,
[tex]x^2 = x \times x[/tex]
[tex]x^3 = x \times x \times x[/tex]
[tex]x^n = \underbrace{x\times x\times ... \times x}_{n}[/tex]

Maybe even compare it to:
[tex]nx = \underbrace{x+x+...+x}_{n}[/tex]

In explaining x2 as an area, maybe showing some numerical examples would help him more. If 32 is drawn as a 3x3 square, it is pretty easy to count a total of 9 unit squares. If multiplication between two numbers is interpreted as length times width, you can always just count the unit squares as opposed to multiplying length times width, and in the special case where length = width, the total number of unit squares is length2 = width2.

Last edited:
2x = x + x
multiplication is repeated addition

x^2 = (x)(x)
exponents indicate repeated multiplication

ps.
I think of it the same way you do. I am weird.

yyttr2 said:
He asked me what the super script '2' truly meant.
Now, I have always thought of [tex]x^{2}[/tex] as a two dimensional representation of a one dimensional quantity (I.E. a one dimensional line with the length of x, and to square x is to extent it equally into the second dimension or...to make it a square). I tried to explain this to him, and that to find the value of x, you just had to think of the nine as a two dimensional quantity, and represent it as a one dimensional line.

He looked to perplexed no matter how much I tried to explain it... I tried to tell him just to think of it in terms of blocks...still nothing.
I'm not very surprised that this math illiterate didn't understand it; I don't either. If someone asks what a power truly means, I wouldn't start talking about 'dimensions'. I am curious to hear your explanation of what [tex]3^{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] means :smile:

I would follow the approach of pbandjay and Noxide (of course this doesn't explain what a non-natural exponent means, but that will come later).

1. What is the purpose of explaining basic mathematics to someone who is math illiterate?

The purpose of explaining basic mathematics to someone who is math illiterate is to help them understand and use mathematical concepts in their daily lives. This can improve their problem-solving skills, decision-making abilities, and overall critical thinking skills.

2. How do you approach explaining basic mathematics to someone who is math illiterate?

When explaining basic mathematics to someone who is math illiterate, it is important to use simple and relatable examples, avoid using jargon or technical terms, and be patient and understanding. It may also be helpful to use visual aids or real-life situations to make the concepts more tangible.

3. What are some common barriers to understanding basic mathematics for someone who is math illiterate?

Some common barriers to understanding basic mathematics for someone who is math illiterate include fear or anxiety towards math, lack of foundational knowledge or skills, and difficulty in visualizing abstract concepts.

4. How can I help someone who is math illiterate improve their understanding of basic mathematics?

You can help someone who is math illiterate improve their understanding of basic mathematics by providing them with consistent and patient support, breaking down complex concepts into simpler ones, and encouraging them to practice and apply their newly learned skills in real-life situations.

5. Is it possible for someone who is math illiterate to improve their understanding and use of basic mathematics?

Yes, it is possible for someone who is math illiterate to improve their understanding and use of basic mathematics. With patience, practice, and support, anyone can improve their mathematical skills and become more confident and competent in using math in their daily lives.