Explaining quantum entanglement

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum entanglement and whether or not it can be effectively explained without using mathematical equations. While some believe that math is necessary to understand the phenomenon, others argue that it can be explained with simpler algebra. The conversation also touches on the misconceptions and limitations of explaining quantum entanglement to those who are not familiar with the mathematics behind it.
davidge
Usually, people trying to explain quantum entanglement, uses the scenario where two particles were created and one of them ends up very far away from the other, and then a measurement is made, etc.

The problem I see is that they seem to assume the two particles are classical particles, like two balls. So the very beggining of the explanation seems to be wrong, for this reason. The following video shows the situation I'm describing here.

But the conclusion emerging from such explanation is correct, namely what Quantum Entaglement causes. So, is that explanation okay even that it describes the form of the particles incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
For me, it's easiest to explain with math. Not QM math, but regular simple algebra.

If you have two entangled particles, they are described by a single formula: f(x).
Now define one of the particles with a definite value: g(x).
This forces the value of the other particle to be (f-g)(x).

There is nothing else it can be, and no information has to be sent between the particles for it to happen.

Likes sirios and davidge
I totally agree with you.

The problem arises when you try to explain something that only makes sense with mathematics, to people who have not learned the mathematics. In such case, I wonder if it's better not to talk about the given phenomenum at all.

Likes sirios
newjerseyrunner said:
For me, it's easiest to explain with math. Not QM math, but regular simple algebra.

If you have two entangled particles, they are described by a single formula: f(x).
Now define one of the particles with a definite value: g(x).
This forces the value of the other particle to be (f-g)(x).

There is nothing else it can be, and no information has to be sent between the particles for it to happen.
your its mathematics and good but fails in certain situations of the quantum entanglement, it is worth noting that it is not only the property of spin that interweaves but also others such as the wave function and etc ... as several articles recently published. I think a lot of people get confused in this respect.[emoji5]

Likes newjerseyrunner and davidge
davidge said:
I totally agree with you.

The problem arises when you try to explain something that only makes sense with mathematics, to people who have not learned the mathematics. In such case, I wonder if it's better not to talk about the given phenomenum at all.
I agree

Likes davidge
What bothers me is, in the video above, she says that "each ball would be red and blue". I believe she should say "each ball COULD be red or blue". But, this may be a philosophical statement, not allowed on a physics forum ... lol

Also, measurement of an entangled pair doesn't really break the entanglement (collapse), it increases the entanglement of the pair with the measurement system. Collapse is just a simplification.

But, I've been wrong often ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes davidge
Normally the channel 'Sixty Symbols' is good, but that particular video is terrible. Don't pay attention to anything it says, particularly the stuff about using entanglement to communicate (i.e. the whole thing).

Likes DrClaude
PF discussion should be based on acceptable sources; the video linked to in the OP is not. Thread closed.

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are physically separated.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two or more particles interact and become entangled. This means that their quantum states, such as spin or polarization, are linked together and remain connected even when they are separated by large distances.

3. What is the significance of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and has important applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. It also challenges our understanding of the nature of reality and the concept of locality in physics.

4. Can quantum entanglement be used for faster-than-light communication?

No, quantum entanglement does not allow for faster-than-light communication. While the state of an entangled particle can be instantly affected by changing the state of its entangled partner, the actual information transfer still obeys the speed of light limit.

5. How is quantum entanglement being used in research and technology?

Scientists are currently exploring the potential of quantum entanglement in various fields, such as quantum computing, secure communication, and quantum teleportation. It is also being studied in research on quantum gravity and the nature of space-time.