Explaining your Physics degree to relatives

In summary, @TechieDork is studying Physics in Thailand and is unsure of what he will do with his degree.
TechieDork
I'm studying 2nd year Physics in Thailand and I always have hard time explaining what I would do with my Physics degree for a living to my relatives and family.

Every relative gathering on holidays, I'll always get bombarded with questions .

-So what's you're going to do after college,son.
-You better go for an engineering.
-I expect you to be the first doctor in our family.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TechieDork said:
I'm studying 2nd year Physics in Thailand and I always have hard time explaining what I would do with my Physics degree for a living to my relatives and family.

Every relative gathering on holidays, I'll always get bombarded with questions .

-So what's you're going to do after college,son.
-You better go for an engineering.
-I expect you to be the first doctor in our family.
Is there a question in there...? If not, I have one: So what's you're going to do after college, son?

Likes berkeman, TechieDork and Vanadium 50
Maybe most laymen have no idea what physicsts
russ_watters said:
Is there a question in there...? If not, I have one: So what's you're going to do after college, son?
Oh Sorry,I forgot to put the question mark in there.
Yeah,it's a question

TechieDork said:
Yeah,it's a question
Sorry if this sounds rude, I don't mean it that way.

So you are asking us, what you will do with your degree for a living? Really, how can we answer that?

You need to reformulate the question into something that can be answered by strangers on the internet.

Likes russ_watters
gmax137 said:
Sorry if this sounds rude, I don't mean it that way.

So you are asking us, what you will do with your degree for a living? Really, how can we answer that?

You need to reformulate the question into something that can be answered by strangers on the internet.
...or attempt to answer the question itself. I'm going to hazard a guess, @TechieDork , that you posted this because you aren't confident in the answer. If that's true, you should put some direct thought into it.

1. What is a Physics degree?

A Physics degree is an undergraduate or graduate degree that focuses on the study of matter and energy, their interactions, and the laws that govern them. It encompasses topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. What can you do with a Physics degree?

There are many career paths available for someone with a Physics degree. Some common options include research and development, engineering, teaching, data analysis, and scientific writing. Many physics graduates also go on to pursue further education in fields such as medicine, law, or business.

3. Is Physics a difficult major?

Physics can be a challenging major, as it requires a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. However, with dedication and hard work, it is a rewarding and exciting field of study with many practical applications.

4. What skills do you gain from studying Physics?

Studying Physics helps develop a wide range of skills, including problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and mathematical modeling. It also fosters strong research and communication skills, as well as the ability to think creatively and work collaboratively.

5. How does Physics relate to everyday life?

Physics is all around us and impacts our daily lives in many ways. It explains the behavior of objects and phenomena in the physical world, from the motion of planets to the functioning of electronic devices. It also plays a crucial role in developing new technologies and solving real-world problems.