Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explanation on Taylor expansions needed

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    I have a question about Taylor expanding functions. For both cases I can't get my head around why things are the way they are. I just don't see how one would perform Taylor expansions like that.

The first:
    The starting point of a symmetry operations is the following expansion:
    [tex]f(r+a) = f(r) + \left(a\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right) f(r) + \frac{1}{2} \left(a\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^2 f(r) + \frac{1}{3!} \left(a\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^2 f(r) + \ldots[/tex]

The second:
    This one comes from Landau's book, first chapter, fourth section:
    Given the equation [itex] L = L(v^{\prime 2}) [/itex] where [itex]\boldsymbol{v}^\prime = \boldsymbol{v} + \boldsymbol{\varepsilon}[/itex] and [itex]\boldsymbol{v}^2 = v^2[/itex] s.t. [itex] L(v^{\prime 2}) = L(v^2 + 2\boldsymbol{v}\boldsymbol{\varepsilon} + \boldsymbol{\varepsilon}^2)[/itex]: why does expanding in powers of [itex]\boldsymbol{\varepsilon}[/itex] and neglecting terms above first order lead to:
    [tex]
    L(v^{\prime 2}) = L(v^2)+\frac{\partial L}{\partial v^2} 2\boldsymbol{v}\cdot \boldsymbol{\varepsilon}
    [/tex]

Some insight into why this is would be greatly appreciated. :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2
    Okay, the first and the second one are equivalent if I set [itex]r=v^2[/itex], [itex]a=2\boldsymbol{v}\boldsymbol{\varepsilon}[/itex] and disregard terms [itex]\boldsymbol{\varepsilon}^2[/itex]. I still do not quite see how to get the first equation done properly.

For a normal Taylor expansion (up to first order), we have:
    [tex]
    f(x) = f(c) + (x-c) \frac{\operatorname{d}}{\operatorname{d}x}f(c) + \ldots
    [/tex]

If I now identify [itex]x=r+a[/itex] and [itex]c=a[/itex] I recover most of the terms I need, with the exception of [itex]\frac{\operatorname{d}}{\operatorname{d}r+a}f(r)[/itex].

Suggestions?

4. Jun 24, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi Stalafin! :smile:

This is an abuse of notation and an abuse that I don't like at all. Basically, this equation has two kind of r's: an r that represents a value and an r that represents a variable.

Rewriting your equation gives us
    [tex]f(r+a) = f(r) + a\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial r}f(r) + \frac{1}{2} a^2\cdot\frac{\partial^2}{\partial r^2}f(r) + \frac{1}{3!} a^3\cdot\frac{\partial^3}{\partial r^3} f(r) + \ldots[/tex]

Because the notation [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial f}[/itex] sucks (because r is used as a variable there), we will replace it with a better one:

[tex]f(r+a) = f(r) + af^\prime(r) + \frac{1}{2} a^2f^{\prime\prime}(r) + \frac{1}{3!} a^3f^{\prime\prime\prime}(r) + \ldots[/tex]

But this is exactly the Taylor series! So the original formula was correct (but abusive).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook