Exponential grows faster than polynomial

In summary, exponential growth refers to a constant rate of change, while polynomial growth involves a varying rate of change. Exponential growth is faster than polynomial growth due to its rapid and continuous increase. This type of growth can be seen in the spread of viruses and can be identified on a graph by a steeply increasing curve. Real-world applications of exponential growth include population growth, compound interest, and modeling various processes in fields such as biology and finance.
koroviev

Homework Statement

If [itex]k[/itex] is a natural number, prove that [itex]2^{n} > n^{k}[/itex] for all [itex]n \geq k^{2} + 1[/itex].

Homework Equations

We need to use a proof by induction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's do the case when [itex]k = 4[/itex]. We check the base case directly:
[tex]2^{17} = 131072 > 83521 = 17^4[/tex]
Suppose [itex]2^{n} > n^{4}[/itex] for some [itex]n \geq 17[/itex], we have that
[tex]2^{n+1} = 2 \cdot 2^{n} > 2 n^{4} = n^{4} + n^{4}[/tex]
Since [itex]n \geq 5[/itex], we have that
[tex]2^{n+1} > n^{4} + 5 n^{3} = n^{4} + 4 n^{3} + n^{3}[/tex]
Since [itex]n \geq 7[/itex], we have that
[tex]2^{n+1} > n^{4} + 4 n^{3} + 7 n^{2} = n^{4} + 4 n^{3} + 6 n^{2} + n^{2}[/tex]
[tex]2^{n+1} > n^{4} + 4 n^{3} + 6 n^{2} + 5 n = n^{4} + 4 n^{3} + 6 n^{2} + 4 n + n[/tex]
Finally, since [itex]n \geq 1[/itex], we have that
[tex]2^{n+1} > n^{4} + 4 n^{3} + 6 n^{2} + 4 n + 1 = (n + 1)^{4}[/tex]

However, I cannot extend this method to a general [itex]k[/itex]. First, I have trouble with the base case:
[tex]2^{k^{2} + 1} > (k^{2} + 1)^{k}[/tex]
I tried to do this by induction on [itex]k[/itex], but didn't make much headway. My method for the inductive case also breaks down because for [itex]k \geq 8[/itex] the largest coefficient in the expansion of [itex](n + 1)^{k}[/itex] is larger than [itex]k^{2} + 1[/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
koroviev said:

Homework Statement

If [itex]k[/itex] is a natural number, prove that [itex]2^{n} > n^{k}[/itex] for all [itex]n \geq k^{2} + 1[/itex].

Homework Equations

We need to use a proof by induction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's do the case when [itex]k = 4[/itex]. We check the base case directly:
[tex]2^{17} = 131072 > 83521 = 17^4[/tex]
Suppose [itex]2^{n} > n^{4}[/itex] for some [itex]n \geq 17[/itex], we have that
[tex]2^{n+1} = 2 \cdot 2^{n} > 2 n^{4} = n^{4} + n^{4}[/tex]
[tex]2^{n+1} > n^{4} + 5 n^{3} = n^{4} + 4 n^{3} + n^{3}[/tex]
Since [itex]n \geq 7[/itex], we have that
[tex]2^{n+1} > n^{4} + 4 n^{3} + 7 n^{2} = n^{4} + 4 n^{3} + 6 n^{2} + n^{2}[/tex]
[tex]2^{n+1} > n^{4} + 4 n^{3} + 6 n^{2} + 5 n = n^{4} + 4 n^{3} + 6 n^{2} + 4 n + n[/tex]
Finally, since [itex]n \geq 1[/itex], we have that
[tex]2^{n+1} > n^{4} + 4 n^{3} + 6 n^{2} + 4 n + 1 = (n + 1)^{4}[/tex]

However, I cannot extend this method to a general [itex]k[/itex]. First, I have trouble with the base case:
[tex]2^{k^{2} + 1} > (k^{2} + 1)^{k}[/tex]
I tried to do this by induction on [itex]k[/itex], but didn't make much headway. My method for the inductive case also breaks down because for [itex]k \geq 8[/itex] the largest coefficient in the expansion of [itex](n + 1)^{k}[/itex] is larger than [itex]k^{2} + 1[/itex].

So you needd to prove

[tex]\frac{2^{k^2+1}}{k^2+1}>1[/tex]

Maybe you can start of by proving that if k>3, that the function

[tex]f(k)=\frac{2^{k^2+1}}{k^2+1}>1[/tex]

is increasing?? So once you proved that

[tex]f(k+1)>f(k)[/tex]

You only need to show that f(4)>1...

Thanks for the reply! (And sorry that I put in this wrong forum originally -- I got the problem from a computer science professor, but the problem is probably more math now that I think about it). I actually ended up solving the problem myself, though my methods probably aren't the most elegant or efficient possible.

First, we show that [itex] 2^{k^{2} + 1} > (k^{2} + 1)^{k} [/itex] for all [itex] k \in \mathbb{N} [/itex]. We check the cases when [itex] k = 1 [/itex], [itex] 2 [/itex], [itex] 3 [/itex] or [itex] 4 [/itex] directly.
[tex] \begin{array}{c|cccc} k & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 \\ \hline 2^{k^{2} + 1} & 4 & 32 & 1025 & 131072 \\ (k^{2} + 1)^{k} & 2 & 25 & 1000 & 83521 \end{array} [/tex]
For [itex] k \geq 5 [/itex], we first prove that [itex] 2^{k} > k^{2} + 1 [/itex]. The case when [itex] k = 5 [/itex] holds because
[tex] 2^{5} = 32 > 26 = 5^{2} + 1. [/tex]
If [itex] 2^{k} > k^{2} + 1 [/itex] for some [itex] k \geq 5 [/itex], then we have that
[tex] 2^{k + 1} = 2 \cdot 2^{k} > 2 \cdot (k^{2} + 1) = k^{2} + k^{2} + 2 \geq k^{2} + 2 k + 2 \geq k^{2} + 2 k + 1 = (k + 1)^{2}. [/tex]
By induction, this proves that [itex] 2^{k} > k^{2} + 1 [/itex] for all [itex] k \geq 5 [/itex]. Using this result, we have that
[tex] 2^{k^{2} + 1} > 2^{k^{2}} > (k^{2} + 1)^{k} , \qquad \forall \, k \geq 5. [/tex]
Thus, we have shown that [itex] 2^{k^{2} + 1} > (k^{2} + 1)^{k} [/itex] for all [itex] k \in \mathbb{N} [/itex].

We deal with the case when [itex] k = 1 [/itex] separately; namely, we want to show that [itex] 2^{n} > n [/itex] for all [itex] n \geq 2 [/itex]. The inequality holds when [itex] n = 2 [/itex] because
[tex] 2^{2} = 4 > 2. [/tex]
If [itex] 2^{n} > n [/itex] for some [itex] n \geq 2 [/itex], then
[tex] 2^{n+1} = 2 \cdot 2^{n} > 2 n = n + n \geq n + 1. [/tex]
By induction, this proves that [itex] 2^{n} > n [/itex] for all [itex] n \geq 2 [/itex].

For [itex] k \geq 2 [/itex], we first show that [itex] (1 + \frac{1}{n})^{k} < 2 [/itex] for all [itex] n \geq k^{2} + 1 [/itex]. Recall that [itex] (1 + \frac{1}{n})^{n} [/itex] is a monotone increasing sequence that converges to [itex] e [/itex]. Thus, for any [itex] k \geq 2 [/itex] and [itex] n \geq k^{2} + 1 [/itex], we have that
[tex] \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right)^{k} = \left[ \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right)^{n} \right]^{\frac{k}{n}} < e^{\frac{k}{n}} \leq e^{\frac{k}{k^{2}}} = e^{\frac{1}{k}} \leq e^{\frac{1}{2}} < 2. [/tex]
We showed above that [itex] 2^{k^{2} + 1} > (k^{2} + 1)^{k} [/itex] for all [itex] k \in \mathbb{N} [/itex]. If [itex] k \geq 2 [/itex] and [itex] 2^{n} > n^{k} [/itex], then our previous result implies that
[tex] 2^{n + 1} = 2 \cdot 2^{n} > 2 n^{k} > \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right)^{k} \cdot n^{k} = (n + 1)^{k}. [/tex]
By induction, this proves that [itex] 2^{n} > n^{k} [/itex] for all [itex] k \geq 2 [/itex] and [itex] n \geq k^{2} + 1 [/itex]. Having previously checked that [itex] 2^{n} > n [/itex] for all [itex] n \geq 2 [/itex], we can assert that for any [itex] k \in \mathbb{N} [/itex], [itex] 2^{n} > n^{k} [/itex] for [itex] n \geq k^{2} + 1 [/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between exponential and polynomial growth?

Exponential growth is characterized by a constant rate of change, where each value is multiplied by a constant factor. In contrast, polynomial growth is characterized by a varying rate of change, where each value is multiplied by a variable factor.

2. Why does exponential growth grow faster than polynomial growth?

This is because exponential growth increases at a much faster rate than polynomial growth. As the value of the variable increases, the difference between the two growth rates becomes increasingly significant.

3. Can you provide an example of exponential growth?

One example of exponential growth is the spread of a virus. As more people become infected, the number of new infections increases at a faster rate, leading to exponential growth.

4. How can you identify exponential growth in a graph?

Exponential growth can be identified on a graph by a curve that increases rapidly and continuously, with the rate of increase becoming steeper as the variable increases.

5. Are there any real-world applications of exponential growth?

Yes, exponential growth can be observed in many real-world phenomena such as population growth, compound interest, and the spread of technology and innovation. It is also used in fields such as biology, finance, and physics to model and predict various processes.