Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential of jordan form involving distinct eigenvalues

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    For a Jordan form (which is a direct sum of individual jordan blocks) that has distinct eigenvalues along the diagonal, how would the exponential of the Jordan form be calculated ?

As far as Im aware the formula for calculating the exponential of a jordan block can only involve one eigenvalue, so how would this work for the case of a matrix having distinct eigenvalues ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If J is a jordan matrix with block diagonal B(λ1),...,B(λn), use the notation J=diag(B(λi)). Notice that Jk=diag(B(λi)k). By definition,

[tex]e^J=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{J^k}{k!}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{\mathrm{diag}(B(\lambda_i)^k)}{k!}= \mathrm{diag} \left( \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{B( \lambda_i)^k}{k!}\right)=\mathrm{diag}(e^{B( \lambda_i)})[/tex]

More generally, the exponential of a block diagonal matrix is the block diagonal matrix of exponentials.

4. Oct 29, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To take a simple example,
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    is a Jordan matrix for a matrix having eigenvalues 1 and 2 (each with geometric multiplicity 2).
    You can think of it as made of the two "elementary" Jordan matrices
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The exponential of the first is, of course,
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}e & e \\ 0 & e\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    and of the second
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}e^2 & e^2 \\ 0 & e^2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    so it should be no surprise that the exponential of the original matrix is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}e & e & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & e & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & e^2 & e^2 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & e^2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

5. Oct 29, 2011 #4
    I thought that you can only produce an exponential of a matrix if it's in diagaonalisable form only ?

How did you get the top right terms of both the individual Jordan matrices to be exponents ?

6. Oct 29, 2011 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not at all, finding the exponential of a Jordan canonical form is easy.
    Indeed, in the Jordan canonical form, we are dealing with matrices of the form D+N, where D is diagonal and where N is nilpotent. If we have that DN=ND, then we have that

[tex]e^{D+N}=e^De^N[/tex]

The exponential of D can be easily find since it is diagonal. The exponential of N is also easy. Indeed, we know that [itex]N^k=0[/itex] for a certain k, so

[tex]e^N=I+N+\frac{N^2}{2}+...+\frac{N^{k-1}}{(k-1)!}[/tex]

which is a finite sum!!

In the case [tex]A=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1\\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0\\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}+\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1\\ 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}=D+N[/tex]

We see that

[tex]e^D=\begin{pmatrix} e & 0\\ 0 & e \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Furthermore, we know that [itex]N^2=0[/itex], so

[tex]e^N=I+N=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1\\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

We get that

[tex]e^A=e^De^N=\begin{pmatrix} e & 0\\ 0 & e \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1\\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} e & e\\ 0 & e \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook