Export Anemometer Data to Computer

In summary, a group of individuals discuss potential science fair projects for a high school student. One suggestion is to do a feasibility study on wind power, using homemade anemometers to gather wind data. Suggestions are given on how to export and save this data for post-processing, such as using a digital multimeter or a sound card's voltage input. Some individuals suggest using a DAQ card or USB-serial converter for easier data collection. The use of a computer fan is also discussed as a potential method for measuring wind speeds.
minger
Science Advisor
Hi all. My little sister is finally getting through high school and is asking about things she could try for a science fair. The teacher has already shot down a few ideas, so she asked me for a more difficult project.

The city that she lives in and I grew up in is proposing building a wind farm. Personally, I am anti-wind energy, but that is a different topic. I proposed to her to do a feasibility study for wind power, based on the effective wind energy in our city compared to the national average.

This would involve taking wind data, ideally continually through the day, and graphing it. We could then adjust the readings for height based on some sort of boundary layer theory to get an effective wind speed at height.

Now, I've looked around for digital anemometers and they bitchin' expensive; upwards of $600. She's a high school student so she has like a $50 budget. I seen a "tutorial" on instructables that builds a home made anemometer from spare "cups" a couple R/C bearings and a bike speed sensor:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Digital-Anemometer-wind-meter/

My question is if anyone knows a way to export this data to computer for post processing. Perhaps there is simply a particular gauge that can export, or someone knows a method that might be useful.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Using that bike speedometer would be difficult since the source signal is probably so low you'd need amplification and probably some signal conditioning. This may be a toughie to do cheaply. Let me do some noodling on this as well.

i would probably build an egg-cup annemometer which turns a little DC motor and then measure the output voltage with a digital multimeter (DMM)
You can pick up cheap DMMs with a simple 3wire serial output that you can use to read the displayed voltage into a computer - ad so calculate the windspeed.
The cheap ones are slow, they only read the voltage once/second or so - but that's ideal for windspeed.

If you want to make the project cheaper but more complicated you can use the soundcard's microphone input as a voltmeter - but you will need some external electronics. Or these guys have been making simple data capture stuff for pcs for years http://www.picotech.com/educational.html
It used to be much cheaper/easier in the days of the BBC micro/Apple II/etc - you could build this stuff directly.

Last edited:
The DC motor is a good idea. I couldn't get my head past thinking about processing a frequency signal. The DC would be a lot easier.

DC motor? Why make it so complicated? Just use a simple encoder (LED and a photoresistor/phototransistor) connected to a PIC. Something like a 14pin PICaxe can handle reading the signal from the encoder and send that data to a PC over USB. All the required electronics should cost you less than 10 bucks plus maybe 25 for the programming cable.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8351

If you decide to use the bike speedometer design, put one magnet on each anemometer arm, and get 3 reed switch closures per revolution. Use a resistor and a capacitor to produce a pulse every time the reed switch opens (or closes), and use a leaky op-amp integrator circuit with about a 2 to 4 second discharge time constant, and perhaps 30 pulses per sec for full scale on the op-amp output. You can use a LM324 quad op-amp available at RadioShack. The output will be a voltage roughly proportional to the anemometer RPM.
Bob S

After posting yesterday, I got to thinking. I was considering simply using a ducted computer fan to put out a DC current and then just seeing if I can borrow a DAQ card from somewhere.

After seeing the replies here though, I think maybe I (we) are in over our heads. My electronics experience is minimal at best. Mechanically, desiging a system is no problem, but capturing the data seems tricky for me.

The multimeter idea is really good. The problem still seems to remain, though. How do I export and automatically save this data? I can help with postprocessing if I can just get it. Would I need to write some program to interface with the serial port and save as csv or simple unformatted text?

minger said:
The multimeter idea is really good. The problem still seems to remain, though. How do I export and automatically save this data? ...Would I need to write some program to interface with the serial port and save as csv or simple unformatted text?
Yes, the meter just writes the digits from the display to the serial port every second or so.
You just need to read the string from the port as if it were coming from a file - there should be simple examples for most laguages.
And it's normally a very simple dumb port, no fancy handshaking or commands.

The DAQs from someone like PICO even come with drivers to access the serial data from inside excel.

ps. You may need a USB-serial converter if your machine doesn't have any serial ports (if it less than 5years old) - eg http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24512

pps. Probably wouldn't use a PC fan, either look at making an egg-cup manometer or a model aircraft propeller - you can mount it on the fan's motor, but the PC fan is probably too small for the wind

What is an anemometer?

An anemometer is a scientific instrument used to measure wind speed and direction. It typically consists of several cups or blades that rotate in response to the wind, and a mechanism that converts this motion into an electrical signal.

Why is it important to export anemometer data to a computer?

Exporting anemometer data to a computer allows for easier analysis and storage of the data. It also allows for more advanced data processing and visualization, which can aid in understanding and predicting weather patterns.

How do you export anemometer data to a computer?

The specific method for exporting anemometer data to a computer may vary depending on the type of anemometer and the software being used. However, in general, the process involves connecting the anemometer to the computer using a data cable and using specialized software to transfer the data.

What types of data can be exported from anemometers?

Anemometers can export a variety of data, including wind speed, wind direction, temperature, humidity, and air pressure. Some anemometers may also have the capability to export data on wind gusts and wind chill.

How is anemometer data used in scientific research?

Anemometer data is used in a wide range of scientific research, including meteorology, climate studies, and renewable energy. By analyzing anemometer data, scientists can better understand wind patterns and how they may be affected by various factors, such as topography and climate change.