Export only selected bookmarks/folders from Firefox

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Firefox
In summary, there is a discussion regarding the now defunct Xmarks solution on a Mozilla support page. One solution suggested is to create a second Firefox profile without any bookmarks and then copy and paste or drag and drop selected bookmarks from one profile to the other. However, this solution does not seem to work for the individual asking the question. They are looking for alternative solutions that do not involve add-ons or third-party tools. They later discover that they can copy and paste or drag and drop single bookmarks, but not multiple bookmarks or folders. The only current solution seems to be to export all bookmarks and manually delete the ones that are not needed.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
How can we export selected groups/folders of bookmarks from firefox into a file?
There is a discussion here
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/831118
referring to a solution called Xmarks, which is now defunct.

Someone has suggested doing this:
You can create a second Firefox Profile Folder that doesn't have any bookmarks.
If both instances of Firefox are open then you can copy and paste that folder or selected bookmarks from the Library of one instance to the Library of the other instance and export that selection to an HTML file. That is what I would do in this case. You need to open the second instance with the -no-remote command line switch.

... but it doesn't work for me. When I copy-paste from one profile into another profile's Library, nothing happens. If I drag and drop, again nothing appears in the target area.

Any solutions that, preferably, don't involve add-ons or 3rd party stuff?

==== EDIT ===
I just found that I can copy-paste or drag-drop a single bookmark from one profile to another.
But if I try to select two or more bookmarks, or if I select a folder, then it won't copy across.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
export everything and go in and delete out what you don't want...

Likes pbuk
Dr Transport said:
export everything and go in and delete out what you don't want...
Thanks...
Yes, it seems that is the only option right now.

1. How do I export only selected bookmarks/folders from Firefox?

To export only selected bookmarks/folders from Firefox, follow these steps:
1. Open Firefox and click on the Bookmarks menu.
2. Select "Show All Bookmarks." This will open the Library window.
3. In the Library window, click on "Import and Backup" and select "Export Bookmarks to HTML."
4. Choose a location to save the exported bookmarks and click "Save."
5. In the "Export Bookmarks File" window, select the bookmarks or folders you want to export by checking the boxes next to them.
6. Click "Save" to export only the selected bookmarks/folders.

2. Can I export bookmarks from multiple folders at once?

Yes, you can export bookmarks from multiple folders at once. In the "Export Bookmarks File" window, simply check the boxes next to the folders you want to export. You can also use the "Select All" button to quickly select all folders.

3. Will exporting selected bookmarks/folders delete them from my Firefox browser?

No, exporting selected bookmarks/folders will not delete them from your Firefox browser. The exported bookmarks will be saved as an HTML file on your computer, and the original bookmarks will remain in your browser.

4. Can I choose the order in which the bookmarks/folders are exported?

Yes, you can choose the order in which the bookmarks/folders are exported. In the "Export Bookmarks File" window, use the up and down arrows to rearrange the order of the selected bookmarks/folders before clicking "Save."

5. Can I import the exported bookmarks to a different browser?

Yes, you can import the exported bookmarks to a different browser. Most browsers have an option to import bookmarks from an HTML file, and you can use the exported file to import your selected bookmarks/folders to the new browser.