Exporting data points to Excel with Matlab?

In summary, the conversation is about using the optimization algorithm in Matlab to run 50 trials with a maximum of 10,000 iterations each. The goal is to export the iteration number and the best function value for each iteration to an Excel file, with the ability to move to the next sheet after each trial. The solution suggested is using the xlswrite command in Matlab, which allows for writing to an Excel file with one call. It is recommended to save the data and do one big write for each sheet.
Godric
I have an optimization algorithm running 50 full trials with up to 10,000 iterations each (it breaks off if the error goal is reached before that). I want to export the iteration number and the best function value at each iteration to an excel file, then after each trial completes move to the next sheet and start there with the next trial. Is there a simple way to do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Matlab xlswrite is a very convenient way to write to an Excel file. Matlab can write an entire range of cells to a sheet with one call, so you might be better off saving the data and doing one big write for each sheet.

1. How do I export data points from Matlab to Excel?

To export data points from Matlab to Excel, you can use the "xlswrite" function. First, save your data in a variable, then use the function to specify the filename and sheet name where you want the data to be exported.

2. Can I export multiple data points to different Excel sheets?

Yes, you can use the "xlswrite" function to export multiple data points to different Excel sheets by specifying a different sheet name for each set of data. You can also use a for loop to automate the process for exporting a large number of data points.

3. How can I export data with specific formatting to Excel?

You can use the "xlswrite" function with additional input arguments to specify the formatting of your data when exporting to Excel. These arguments include the sheet range, cell formatting, and custom column headers.

4. Is it possible to export data from a specific figure in Matlab to Excel?

Yes, you can use the "print" function in combination with the "xlswrite" function to export data from a specific figure in Matlab to Excel. First, use the "print" function to save the figure as an image, then use the "xlswrite" function to export the data from the saved image to Excel.

5. How can I export data points to an existing Excel file?

To export data points to an existing Excel file, you can use the "xlswrite" function with the additional input argument "Range" to specify the location in the Excel file where you want the data to be exported. This will allow you to add new data to an existing Excel file without overwriting any existing data.