Relativistic Force & Velocity Relation to Acceleration

In summary, the relationship between relativistic force and velocity is described by the equation F = maγ, where m is the mass, a is the acceleration, and γ is the Lorentz factor. This equation takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on objects moving at high velocities. As an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase, causing a decrease in acceleration and a need for greater force to produce the same amount of acceleration. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of objects in the universe, particularly in the realm of astrophysics.
lriuui0x0
According to this link here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_mechanics#Force , we can inverse the relation of force in terms of velocity and acceleration:

$$
\mathbf{F} = \frac{m\gamma^3}{c^2}(\mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{a})\mathbf{v} + m\gamma\mathbf{a}
$$

to get:

$$
\mathbf{a} = \frac{1}{m\gamma}(\mathbf{F} - \frac{(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{F})\mathbf{v}}{c^2})
$$

I'm not sure how this derivation is done, especially how to inverse the ##\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}## term.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not take ##\mathbf F## as in the first equation and using this calculate the RHS of the second equation?

PeroK said:
Why not take ##\mathbf F## as in the first equation and using this calculate the RHS of the second equation?
Good point! But I wonder what happens if you don't already know the RHS of the second equation? So how do you derive ##\mathbf{a}## in the first place?

lriuui0x0 said:
Good point! But I wonder what happens if you don't already know the RHS of the second equation? So how do you derive ##\mathbf{a}## in the first place?
First, you have the inspiration to look at ##\mathbf v \cdot \mathbf F##. Then you look for another good idea.

If you want to know ##\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}## then it's the last term that doesn't help you. Is there anything you can do to ##m\gamma\mathbf{a}## to turn it into a term like ##\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}##?

Thanks for the help. I'm able to derive the relationship betwen ##\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{v}## and ##\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{v}##:

$$
\begin{aligned}
&\phantom{{}={}} \mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{v} \\
&= m\gamma(\frac{\gamma^2}{c^2}\mathbf{v}^2(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}) + \mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}) \\
&= m\gamma(\frac{\gamma^2}{c^2}\mathbf{v}^2 + 1)(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}) \\
&= m\gamma(\frac{v^2}{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})c^2} + 1)(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}) \\
&= m\gamma(\frac{c^2}{c^2-v^2})(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}) \\
&= m\gamma(\frac{1}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}})(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}) \\
&= m\gamma^3(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}) \\
\end{aligned}
$$

Likes Grasshopper and PeroK
Yes. Note that ##v^2/c^2=1-\gamma^{-2}##, which gets you from your second line to your last somewhat more rapidly.

Ibix said:
Yes. Note that ##v^2/c^2=1-\gamma^{-2}##, which gets you from your second line to your last somewhat more rapidly.
Thanks for the note!

This is very complicated, because it's using the non-covariant version of the point-mechanics equation of motion. It's much more convenient to use the manifestly covariant formulation,
$$\dot{p}^{\mu}=m \ddot{x}^{\mu}=K^{\mu},$$
where the dot stands for the derivative wrt. proper time. Since ##\dot{x}_{\mu} \dot{x}^{\mu}=c^2## the Minkowski force ##K^{\mu}## must obey
$$\dot{x}^{\mu} K_{\mu}=0,$$
because
$$\dot{x}^{\mu} \dot{x}_{\mu}=c^2 \; \Rightarrow \; \ddot{x}^{\mu} \dot{x_{\mu}}=0.$$
Due to this constraint of course only 3 of the 4 equations are independent, as it should be.

Since the coordinate time ##t## is related uniquely to ##\tau##, because ##\dot{t}=\gamma>0## you can of course use the spatial part to got back to the non-covariant (1+3)-formulation:
$$p^{\mu}=m \dot{x}^{\mu}=m \gamma \mathrm{d}_t x^{\mu} \; \rightarrow \; \vec{p}=m \gamma \mathrm{d}_t \vec{x}.$$
Then the spatial components of the covariant EoM read
$$\dot{\vec{p}}=\gamma \mathrm{d}_t \vec{p}=m \gamma \mathrm{d}_t (\gamma \vec{x})=\vec{K}$$
or
$$\mathrm{d}_t \vec{p}=m \mathrm{d}_t (\gamma \mathrm{d}_t \vec{x})=\frac{1}{\gamma} \vec{K}:=\vec{F}.$$
The equation of the time component reads
$$\dot{p}^0=\gamma \mathrm{d}_t p^0=K^0.$$
Since
$$K^{\mu} \dot{x}_{\mu} = \gamma (c K^0-\vec{v} \cdot \vec{K})=0 \; \Rightarrow\; K^0=\vec{\beta} \cdot \vec{K}=\gamma \vec{\beta} \cdot \vec{F}$$
we get
$$\mathrm{d}_t p^0=\vec{\beta} \cdot \vec{F}$$
or since ##E=c p^0##
$$\mathrm{d}_t E=\vec{v} \cdot \vec{F}.$$
So the time component is simply the work-energy theorem for relativistic mechanics.

Likes dextercioby and lriuui0x0
Conceptually, it's probably easier to start with

$$ F = dp/ dt \quad p= \gamma m v $$

where ##\gamma = 1 / \sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}##.

Then the chain rule tells you that

$$F =m\,v\,(d/dt) \gamma + \gamma m (d/dt) v$$

Much of the mathematical complexity can be minimized by replacing the 3-momentum p with the 4-momentum, and replacing the coordinate time t with the proper time ##\tau##. This is formalized in the 4-vector approach. However, it's probably going to be too confusing to actually grasp 4-vectors from a short post, though vanhees71 has outlined the approach. Wiki has a treatment, but it's also rather terse to learn from, a book such as Taylor & Wheeler's "Space-time Physics" would be a more realistic approach.

Note that in general, regarding vectors as arrows with magnitude and direction, p and v point in the same direction, while F and v do not point in the same direction.

For a more detailed treatment of special relativity (and also point-particle mechanics) in terms of four-vectors:

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf

I find the non-covariant coordinate-time formalism utmost confusing in comparison to the four-vector formalism, although the latter has the complication of using a redundant degree of freedom (##x^0##), which is compensated by a constraint like ##\dot{x}_{\mu} \dot{x}^{\mu}=c^2##, defining the world-line parameter to be the proper time of the particle (which is the natural coordinate-independent world-line parameter with a concrete physical meaning namely the time measured by a clock comoving with the partice).

vanhees71 said:
For a more detailed treatment of special relativity (and also point-particle mechanics) in terms of four-vectors:

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf

I find the non-covariant coordinate-time formalism utmost confusing in comparison to the four-vector formalism, although the latter has the complication of using a redundant degree of freedom (##x^0##), which is compensated by a constraint like ##\dot{x}_{\mu} \dot{x}^{\mu}=c^2##, defining the world-line parameter to be the proper time of the particle (which is the natural coordinate-independent world-line parameter with a concrete physical meaning namely the time measured by a clock comoving with the partice).
Thanks for the resource!

Ibix said:
That is so sneaky. I like it.

Likes haushofer
In terms of rapidity, where ##(v/c)=\tanh\theta## and ##\gamma=\cosh\theta## (and ##k=\exp \theta##),
the expression ##v^2/c^2=1-\gamma^{-2}##
corresponds to ##\tanh^2\theta=1-\mbox{sech}^2\theta##,
which is equivalent to ##\frac{\sinh^2\theta}{\cosh^2\theta}=1-\frac{1}{\cosh^2\theta}## or, by rearrangement, ##\cosh^2\theta-\sinh^2\theta=1##.

In
lriuui0x0 said:
$$
\begin{aligned}
&\phantom{{}={}} \mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{v} \\
&\stackrel{\vdots}{=}\\
&\stackrel{\vdots}{=} m\gamma(\frac{\gamma^2}{c^2}\mathbf{v}^2 + 1)(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}) \\
&\stackrel{\vdots}{=} m\gamma^3(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{a}) \\
\end{aligned}
$$
note that ##(\frac{\gamma^2}{c^2}\mathbf{v}^2 + 1)## is ##(\sinh^2\theta+1)##,
but this is equal to ##(\cosh^2\theta)##.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
Grasshopper said:
That is so sneaky. I like it.
Yeah, a easier to remember form is ##\beta^2 + \gamma^{-2} = 1## :)

Likes vanhees71 and Grasshopper
lriuui0x0 said:
Yeah, a easier to remember form is ##\beta^2 + \gamma^{-2} = 1## :)
But that surely means you can easily change those to trig functions. I am now intrigued. That negative power raises a small problem, but surely there is a simple work around I’m missing. An i or something.

Grasshopper said:
But that surely means you can easily change those to trig functions. I am now intrigued. That negative power raises a small problem, but surely there is a simple work around I’m missing. An i or something.
$$\tanh^2 \theta + \operatorname{sech}^2 \theta= 1$$which follows from$$\sinh^2 \theta+ 1= \cosh^2 \theta$$

Likes vanhees71 and Grasshopper
Grasshopper said:
I guess you mean hyperbolic functions. You have
$$\beta=\tanh \eta, \quad \gamma=\cosh \eta$$
Then, of course,
$$\beta^2+\gamma^{-2}=\tanh^2 \eta+\frac{1}{\cosh^2 \eta}=\frac{\sinh^2 \eta+1}{\cosh^2 \eta}=1.$$

Likes lriuui0x0 and Grasshopper
vanhees71 said:
I guess you mean hyperbolic functions. You have
$$\beta=\tanh \eta, \quad \gamma=\cosh \eta$$
Then, of course,
$$\beta^2+\gamma^{-2}=\tanh^2 \eta+\frac{1}{\cosh^2 \eta}=\frac{\sinh^2 \eta+1}{\cosh^2 \eta}=1.$$
Yes. But presumably you could use the simple Pythagorean trig identity by replacing ##γ^{-1}## with ##\frac{1}{γ}## could you not? (I wonder if that would be of use at all) That is, ##γ^{-2} = γ^{(^-1)(2)} = (\frac{1}{γ})^2##

##\beta^2+(\frac{1}{γ})^2 = 1##

looks the same to me.

But even if that's true, everything I've seen in SR screams hyperbolic.

Last edited:
Are you referring to Loedel diagrams? I find them utmost unintuitive and besides the point.

The important point of SR is that you do NOT have a Euclidean space-time, because such a spacetime would not admit a causality structure, but a pseudo-Euclidean spacetime with the signature (+---) or (-+++) depending on your choice of convention.

vanhees71 said:
Are you referring to Loedel diagrams? I find them utmost unintuitive and besides the point.

The important point of SR is that you do NOT have a Euclidean space-time, because such a spacetime would not admit a causality structure, but a pseudo-Euclidean spacetime with the signature (+---) or (-+++) depending on your choice of convention.
Not with knowledge of the term but I suppose yes. But yeah, as a student I will agree that standard Minkowski diagrams are more intuitive. Loedel diagrams may have some usefulness, but not at the expense of opening the door to more confusion. There’s enough unintuitive stuff to worry about without adding in a different kind of spacetime diagram.

Likes vanhees71

1. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of force and velocity?

The theory of relativity, specifically the special theory of relativity, states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the concepts of force and velocity are relative and depend on the observer's frame of reference. This challenges our traditional understanding of these concepts, which were based on Newton's laws of motion.

2. How does the theory of relativity explain the relationship between force, velocity, and acceleration?

The special theory of relativity states that as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it becomes harder to accelerate. This means that the relationship between force, velocity, and acceleration becomes more complex and is no longer linear. In fact, at the speed of light, an infinite amount of force would be needed to accelerate an object further.

3. What is the significance of the equation E=mc² in understanding relativistic force and velocity?

E=mc² is the famous equation derived from Einstein's theory of relativity, which relates energy (E) to mass (m) and the speed of light (c). This equation shows that mass and energy are interchangeable, and as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its energy and mass increase significantly. This has important implications for understanding the effects of relativistic forces on objects.

4. How does time dilation play a role in the relativistic force and velocity relation to acceleration?

According to the theory of relativity, time is not absolute and can be affected by an object's velocity. As an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object relative to an observer. This means that the perception of acceleration may differ for an observer and the moving object, leading to a different understanding of the force and velocity relation.

5. Can the theory of relativity be applied to everyday situations involving force and velocity?

Yes, the theory of relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments and observations. While its effects may not be noticeable in everyday situations, they are taken into account in modern technologies such as GPS systems. The theory of relativity has also led to advancements in our understanding of the universe and has been crucial in developing theories such as the Big Bang theory.