1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Express x in terms of the constants

1. Nov 26, 2016 #1
    I have the expression, A(Bx + 1) = C*d^(2x) where A,B,C and d are constants. How to arrive at an expression for x in terms of A,B,C and d?

I have tried doing this:

Log [A(Bx + 1)/C] = Log [d^(2x)]

2xLog(d) = Log[A(Bx + 1)/C]

but I'm unable to arrive at an explicit expression of x in terms of A,B,C and d.
    Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

This cannot be done, since basically you have a linear term on the left and an infinite sum on the right. The best you can get is by using the Lambert W-function which isn't a function to be exact.

4. Nov 27, 2016 #3

Ssnow

Gold Member

because you can't, the best thing you can do is using the Lambert W-function as suggested by @fresh_42 or there is also a graphical method that consist to intersect the linear function ##f(x)\,=\, ABx+A## with the exponential function ##g(x)\,=\,Cd^{2x}##, changing the value of your parameters you can study the existence of solutions of your equation.

Ssnow

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted