Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extent of human radio broadcasts photo

1. Aug 14, 2013 #1
    Let me remind you all how small we are :D not that most of you need to be told :P

YGjfCJZ.jpg

Credit for the photo belongs to Nick Risinger. Website credits in the bottom left hand side of the picture.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm sure the extent of our radio broadcasts should be shown as a circle (sphere, really) NOT a square, but it is interesting to see the extent relative to the Milky Way Galaxy.

4. Aug 14, 2013 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I thought the size of the blue circle *was* the extent and the box was just to highlight.

5. Aug 14, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the rectangular inset in the lower RH corner is just a blow-up of the region indicated in the larger photo.
    The 200 LY zone which would be the extent of radio transmissions from earth is indicated by the arrow pointing at the light blue dot in the inset photo. The galaxy shown (which is an artist's conception of the Milky Way) would have a diameter on order of 100,000 LY, and 200 LY is a speck on a speck in this sand pile.

6. Aug 14, 2013 #5

Evo

7. Aug 14, 2013 #6
    How could you have missed that! Look at the blown up square, that little blue dot is the area, the square is just the blown up section

8. Aug 14, 2013 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and of course our transmissions haven't gone 200 yl's yet. man hasn't been transmitting for 200 years quite yet LOL

Dave

9. Aug 14, 2013 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

doh !

10. Aug 14, 2013 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The diameter of the circle is 200 LY, meaning the radius is 100 LY, more or less the age of radio and wireless transmission.

11. Aug 14, 2013 #10

Evo

Yeah, so true. A bit of nonsense.

12. Aug 14, 2013 #11

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

doh, yeah that's true ... just a "brain fart" haha :wink:
    that didn't even occur to me at the time

Dave

13. Aug 14, 2013 #12

Evo

shhhhh

I'm too tired, So I'm going with 200ly radius, cause I'm tired. :devil:

I don't care if it's wrong. (be quiet Steamking, we know you're right)

14. Aug 15, 2013 #13
    Radio came about concurrent with the pyramids, due to ancient aliens.

15. Aug 15, 2013 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I wonder how they took that picture of the milky way...

16. Aug 15, 2013 #15
    Are you serious?

read what's written in the lower left corner of the picture. It's just a concept art of the Milky Way.

17. Aug 15, 2013 #16

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Oh, that explains it! Thanks a lot for clearing that up!

But I do wonder why they would bother with some concept art when they just could have snapped a picture of the Milky Way...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  18. Aug 15, 2013 #17

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, they asked some guys in Andromeda to take a picture of the Milky Way, but the phone call to there takes 2 million years, and then you have to wait another 2 million years for the picture to return. The roaming charges for the call are astronomical. Then, when you print the picture, you are probably going to run out of black ink, so it's another hour to go to the store to get another ink cartridge, but they'll probably be out of your model and have to re-order. Since it was coming up against a deadline, they just chucked the whole thing into an artist's lap. Galaxies: seen one, seen them all.

19. Aug 15, 2013 #18
  20. Aug 15, 2013 #19

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why couldn't we take a picture from that angle? I mean, we have all these probes which take highly accurate pictures of Jupiter, Saturn and other stars. Why couldn't we send out a probe that takes pictures of the Milky Way?

21. Aug 15, 2013 #20
    With the current technology we have, how many years would it take to send a probe to reach that position given that the diameter of the Milky Way is hundred of thousands light years? Even if we are able to send a probe to a place outside our Milky Way, how would we be able to obtain a picture of the galaxy if our radio broadcast is only 200 light years in diameter according to the picture?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook