Extract Ethanol from Aqueous Solution: Homemade Method

In summary: Suppose I have an aqueous solution of acetone and ethanol.>While a simple or fractional distillation will do the job in a lab,Are there any "homemade" methods (i.e., using materials generally found in a home, non-laboratory setting) that can be used to extract ethanol from such a solution?Yes, boiling the solution in salt water (i.e, saturated with NaCl) would allow me to extract the ethanol.
bomba923
Homemade Extraction

Suppose I have an aqueous solution of acetone and ethanol.

>While a simple or fractional distillation will do the job in a lab,
Are there any "homemade" methods (i.e., using materials generally found in a home,
non-laboratory setting) that can be used to extract ethanol from such a solution?

Would boiling the solution in salt water (i.e, saturated with NaCl) allow me to extract the ethanol?
(i.e., via SN2 substitution by chloride anion on carbonyl carbon, producing sodium 2-chloro-2-propanoxide, which can be later removed (as precipitate after cooling or via 'homemade' distillation*). I do not think this will work, though I have not tried this...)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Homemade distillation:
-Pour the solution (to be distilled) into a large bowl, and place a small cup in the center.
-Loosely cover the large bowl with plastic wrap, and place a few ice cubes in the center above the wrap
-Carefully heat (or place outside on a sunny day, if you can wait). The distillate will evaporate and condense upon the plastic wrap, trickling down towards center (where the ice cubes are weighing down the wrap, hence the "loose" covering) to drip slowly into the cup.

*While this procedure is nowhere near as precise and efficient as a lab distillation apparatus,
it can be used to separate compounds with sufficiently large differences in boiling points. Sadly, this is not the case with acetone and ethanol; hence, this thread!

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
bomba923 said:
Suppose I have an aqueous solution of acetone and ethanol.

>While a simple or fractional distillation will do the job in a lab,
Are there any "homemade" methods (i.e., using materials generally found in a home,
non-laboratory setting) that can be used to extract ethanol from such a solution?

Would boiling the solution in salt water (i.e, saturated with NaCl) allow me to extract the ethanol?
Yes, it would be 'extracted' into the atmosphere.
(i.e., via SN2 substitution by chloride anion on carbonyl carbon, producing sodium 2-chloro-2-propanoxide, which can be later removed (as precipitate after cooling or via 'homemade' distillation*). I do not think this will work, though I have not tried this...)
Don't bother. Salt doesn't do that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Homemade distillation:
-Pour the solution (to be distilled) into a large bowl, and place a small cup in the center.
-Loosely cover the large bowl with plastic wrap, and place a few ice cubes in the center above the wrap
-Carefully heat (or place outside on a sunny day, if you can wait). The distillate will evaporate and condense upon the plastic wrap, trickling down towards center (where the ice cubes are weighing down the wrap, hence the "loose" covering) to drip slowly into the cup.

*While this procedure is nowhere near as precise and efficient as a lab distillation apparatus,
it can be used to separate compounds with sufficiently large differences in boiling points. Sadly, this is not the case with acetone and ethanol; hence, this thread!

Acetone is added to ethanol as a denaturant to keep people from consuming it (without taxation, that is). It is very difficult to remove it without specialized apparatus (specialized = illegal for home use). The boiling point of ethanol is 78C and acetone is 56C. Acetone and water form an azeotrope at 56C and consists of 88% acetone and 12% water. Acetone and pentane form an azeotrope at 33C consisting of 80% pentane and 20% acetone. I'm not sure about the ternaries.

If you are not sure, the practical definition of a positive azeotrope (what chemistree listed above) is that you cannot distill a mixture beyond its azeotrope - you can never get rid of all the acetone in an acetone/ethanol mixture by distillation, for example.

If you want alcohol, it is completely legal to brew wine or beer. In the US the regulations limit production to 600 gallons per year for personal use. I guess the people who promulgate ATF regulations are BIG drinkers... ~2 gallons of wine per day? Whoa.

In the US, you can also buy 95.4% alcohol (azeotrope for water and ethanol) from the store if you are over the legal drinking age and your state is not a crazy-quilt of ABC regulations - it is sold under various brand names like 'Everclear' and is labelled 190 proof.

In the lab, 95% ethanol is a common solvent. It is also coveted by sneaky graduate students. We used Phenolphthalein, a pH indicator and a strong laxative, mixed into our 95% as a sneaky graduate student indicator. Works real well. Has long-lasting deterrent effects, too.

1. How can I extract ethanol from an aqueous solution at home?

There are several methods you can use to extract ethanol from an aqueous solution at home. One common method is to use a process called fractional distillation, where you heat the solution to separate the ethanol from the water. Another method is to use a separation funnel, where the two liquids are separated based on their different densities.

2. What materials do I need to extract ethanol from an aqueous solution at home?

To extract ethanol from an aqueous solution at home, you will need a heat source, such as a stove or hot plate, a distillation apparatus or separation funnel, and a container to collect the extracted ethanol. You may also need other materials depending on the method you choose, such as a thermometer or filter paper.

3. Is it safe to extract ethanol from an aqueous solution at home?

While extracting ethanol from an aqueous solution can be done at home, it is important to exercise caution and follow proper safety procedures. Ethanol is a flammable liquid and should be handled carefully to avoid accidents. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling fumes.

4. Can I extract ethanol from any aqueous solution?

In theory, ethanol can be extracted from any aqueous solution that contains it. However, the concentration of ethanol in the solution will determine the effectiveness of the extraction process. It may also be more challenging to extract ethanol from a solution that contains other substances, such as sugars or acids.

5. What can I do with the extracted ethanol?

The extracted ethanol can be used for various purposes, such as making homemade cleaning products or as a fuel for some types of vehicles. However, it is important to note that the purity of the extracted ethanol may not be suitable for certain applications. If you plan to use the ethanol for consumption, it is best to purchase it from a reputable source.