Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extraordinary claims who said that?

1. Jul 6, 2010 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

"Extraordinary claims..." who said that?

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Obviously, Carl popularized it, but is he the one who coined it?

I just read in my book "Escape from Hell"*, that it was Descartes who first said this. True?

*(Carl is in Dante's Eighth Circle of Hell (along with Diviners and Fortune Tellers) for being a false prophet. He started teaching science but then it got way from him and he started making predictions about Earth's demise in a Great Ice Age).

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2010 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: "Extraordinary claims..." who said that?

Laplace: “The weight of evidence for an extraordinary claim must be proportioned to its strangeness.”

4. Jul 6, 2010 #3

To the best of my knowledge, it was Marcello Truzzi. Founder of CSICOP, left on a bad note and coined the term "pseudo-skepticism". He definitely said it before Sagan.

So I guess it wasn't Truzzi.

5. Jul 6, 2010 #4

If you consider Dirac's equation of his "sea", his own reluctance to accept the theory until positrons were more than definitely detected would be a fine example of this in real science. In a time when theory is the forerunner of experimentation (often), this is even more critical than at any time in history.

6. Jul 6, 2010 #5

disregardthat

Science Advisor

David Hume at least had a variation of it when he wrote about his skepticism towards the possibility of divine miracles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook