Extremely nervous about grad school visit

In summary: Be yourself, and if they don't like you, they don't like you. Don't worry about making a good impression, it will come naturally if you're yourself.In summary, the graduate student is visiting a graduate school and is nervous about the opportunity. She has to be herself and not be nervous. The faculty will guide the conversation.
grrrrrrumpy
Hi guys,

I've been visiting the forum here for months now and really enjoy some of the discussions that go on here. I'm hoping you can help me out with this issue which is a huge source of nervousness for me. I know most if not all of you have gone through this so I'm hoping to get some advice.

After applying to grad school I was hoping to have a month or so where I can sit back and relax and wait to hear back, but this morning I got an invitation to visit a pretty good school out east (#6 on my list of 14). I was all excited but after awhile I realized that it wasn't going to be with a huge group of prospective students as I was hoping for, they said I could come whenever I want (paid, of course) and I chose January 11.

Apparently, I am touring four labs and going out to lunch and dinner with some faculty.

I know I'd have to try really hard to fudge this opportunity up, but I'm profoundly nervous (as in, I will not sleep well until it's over). I am not a guy who is laidback, hilarious, and a social butterfly - I'm extremely awkward and nervous around people. I doubt that my admissions is at stake (my professors said they invited me so early [one day after applying, even] because they want me to go there), I just want to make a good impression since they are sacrificing so much time and money for me to visit.

I'm really not looking for the "just relax, be yourself" type of advice... what do I ask the faculty about? What do we discuss at dinner - research? Family? Local events? Sports (heaven forbid)?

HEEEEEEELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that feel.

I visited a graduate school a couple of weeks ago, and was also hella nervous. But then again, it wasn't paid, it was of my own accord :) From what I saw, the professors will guide the conversation. Have you ever spoken to a professor about their research? By the time they finish talking, you will have already heard back from all 14 grad schools because it will be April.

Besides, and hopefully someone can vouch for me on this... if you are a physics person and not horrifyingly awkward, you are in the minority.

Ask what you want to know about. Remember that you're trying to figure out the best fit for you as well.

Some prompts if you get stuck:
  • What are the required graduate courses? What are the elective options? Are the courses run every year? Who teaches them?
  • What are the other graduate students currently working on?
  • Will you be expected to TA? What courses are available? How much of a time commitment is it?
  • What conferences are graduate students expected to attend?
  • How soon do you have to choose a supervisor and a project?
  • What are each professor's expectations of his or her graduate students? What hours are students expected to keep? How frequently will they meet? Are meetings formal or informal? How much say will you have in the direction of your project?
  • What is the cost of living like in the city? Where do most of the students live? How do they get around?
  • Where are past graduate students now?
  • What is the next big thing in the field?
Some things you can have prepared before you go (it's not necessary to have these nailed down, but sometimes it can help if you're really nervous to have a script):
  • A personal introduction. Explain who you are, where you're from and at least a general area of interest.
  • A couple reasons why you applied to this particular program.
  • A general idea of the research that's being done in the labs you'll be touring.

Likes grrrrrrumpy and Student100
I'm not so sure why you're under the assumption that you can't blow it. I'm sure the tour is as much about "is this really someone we want hanging around for the next seven or so years" as is it a tour to convince you that it's a place you want to do the same.

Personality conflicts happen, and could very much derail your chances as anything else.

That said, you shouldn't go into the tour nervous and awkward, it's as much about how you feel around the department and whether you feel its a good fit you. You have power and a stake in this process as much as they do. That should ease the anxiousness, if you can believe and accept this.

Study what the faculty is currently working on, get enough working knowledge to ask good questions, you don't need, nor should you be expected to be an expert. People love to talk about their work, especially when only a handful of people care/know enough background to understand. Get a feel for who might end up/you choose to be your adviser - should you go there. Beyond that, interact like you would with any other human being, physicists are people too.

If they go out for drinks after work (very common, at least from what I've experienced) join them if invited, talk about hobbies, fun things to do, scantily clad women, whatever seems natural and fluid. Be yourself, don't try to sell yourself as something you're not.

Just remember this is for you as much as it is for them.

Likes grrrrrrumpy
@Choppy, thank you so much for the list of conversation pieces. I'll be sure to keep these tucked away in a corner of my mind...

Student100 said:
If they go out for drinks after work (very common, at least from what I've experienced) join them if invited, talk about hobbies, fun things to do, scantily clad women, whatever seems natural and fluid. Be yourself, don't try to sell yourself as something you're not.

This is common? Well, now you've got me scared.

What is a grad school visit?

A grad school visit is an opportunity for prospective graduate students to visit a university campus, meet with faculty and current students, tour the facilities, and learn more about the graduate program. It is an important step in the decision-making process for graduate school.

Why am I feeling extremely nervous about my grad school visit?

Feeling nervous about a grad school visit is completely normal. It is a big decision and an important step in your academic and professional career. It is common to feel anxious about meeting new people, making a good impression, and making the right decision for your future. Remember that the faculty and staff are there to help and guide you through the process.

What should I expect during a grad school visit?

During a grad school visit, you can expect to attend information sessions about the graduate program, meet with faculty and current students, tour the campus and facilities, and potentially sit in on a class or seminar. You may also have the opportunity to ask questions and learn more about the application process and funding opportunities.

How should I prepare for my grad school visit?

To prepare for your grad school visit, make sure to research the university and program beforehand. Come up with a list of questions to ask during your visit. It is also important to dress professionally and have copies of your resume and transcripts on hand. Finally, make sure to arrive on time and be open to new experiences and opportunities.

What should I do after my grad school visit?

After your grad school visit, take some time to reflect on your experience. Consider how you felt on campus, the interactions you had with faculty and students, and the overall atmosphere of the program. This can help you make an informed decision about whether the program is the right fit for you. It is also a good idea to follow up with any thank-you notes or emails to the faculty and staff you met during your visit.