Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factorisation Theorem for Sufficiency

1. Feb 21, 2014 #1
    I'm having trouble with applying this theorem to likelihood functions in order to obtain a sufficiency statistic for the relevant variables.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

The factorisation theorem being:

Under certain regularity conditions;

T(X) is sufficient for θ ⇔ f(x|θ) = h(x)g(t(x),θ)

for some functions h and g.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

The main problem I'm having is when to allow h(x) = 1.

For example in the exponential distribution you get a likelihood function: f(x|θ) = θn(1-θ)[itex]\sum[/itex](xi) - n

you set h(x) =1 here and g(x) = (t,θ) = θn(1-θ)t - n where t = [itex]\sum[/itex](xi)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, in the Poisson distribution you get a likelihood function: 1/(x1!x2!) x e-2θθx1+x2.

here you set h(x) = 1/(x1!x2!) and not h(x) = 1.

Is this because h(x) has to be a constant or involving just x?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So say for example you had a likelihood function:

f(x|θ) = xnσ-2ne-0.5nx2σ-2

using the Factorisation method would you let h(x) = 1 with g(x, σ) = f(x|θ)

and say x is sufficient for σ

OR would you let h(x) = xn and g(x, σ) = σ-2ne-0.5nx2σ-2

and say x is sufficient for σ

Note: Obviously there is the same outcome for the sufficiency statistic, but in a different problem this may not be the case.

Can anyone help me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2014 #2
    The idea is to have h(x) not depending on the parameter. Whether it's a constant or not.

4. Feb 21, 2014 #3
    Ah I see, thanks for this I understand now.. it's simple really.

5. Feb 21, 2014 #4
    Actually just one more question. What about n? Would n need to be sufficient for the parameter or is it treated as constant/number?

6. Feb 24, 2014 #5

Anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook