Factorize a number in a different base

• Thread starter RChristenk
  • Start date
RChristenk
Homework Statement
Factorize ##587## in base ##11##
Relevant Equations
Knowledge of changing bases
I know and understand ##299 \times 2 = 587## in base ##11##.

But I don't know how to do the reverse operation. Meaning given ##587## in base ##11##, I would never be able to decipher that it can be broken into ##299\times 2##. In fact I wouldn't be able to produce one single factor because I don't understand the reverse operation.

In base ##10##, if I were to take the number ##300##, I can immediately see that ##300=3 \times 10 \times 10##, but if the base is different then I can't see nor understand.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you worked on base 11 all the time, you would start to remember various patterns. The best plan is to convert to and from base 10. Not least because you know the prime numbers in base 10. There are lists of them everywhere.

Likes RChristenk

Related to Factorize a number in a different base

1. How do you factorize a number in a different base?

To factorize a number in a different base, you first convert the number to its decimal form. Then, you can use standard factorization techniques to find the prime factors of the number.

2. Can you provide an example of factorizing a number in a different base?

Sure! Let's say we want to factorize the number 110 in base 2. First, we convert 110 base 2 to decimal, which is 6. Then, we factorize 6 into its prime factors, which are 2 and 3. Therefore, 110 base 2 factorizes to 2 * 3.

3. Why would someone want to factorize a number in a different base?

Factorizing a number in a different base can be useful in certain mathematical problems or when working with different number systems. It can help in simplifying calculations or understanding the properties of numbers in different bases.

4. Are there any special considerations when factorizing a number in a different base?

One special consideration when factorizing a number in a different base is to ensure that you correctly convert the number to its decimal form before applying standard factorization techniques. Additionally, be mindful of any differences in the prime factors of numbers in different bases.

5. Can factorizing a number in a different base help in cryptography?

Yes, factorizing a number in a different base can be relevant in cryptography, especially when working with modular arithmetic and encryption algorithms. Understanding the prime factors of numbers in different bases can aid in developing secure encryption methods.