Failed Engineering Admissions: How to Stay on Track for a EE Degree?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
DrummingAtom
Messages
657
Reaction score
2
So I applied for the engineering college and they rejected me even though I have a 3.9 gpa and all the classes required for admission. They made it sound like the college is full because they can't even accept me as a undecided engineering major. I'm freaking out a little bit because next semester, according to the curriculum, I should be taking 3 EE classes. So unless I could take summer classes I would finish a semester late and that's if spots open up in the college of engineering.

I want to be an EE and need to figure out how I should approach this. The physics degree at my school has a nice option with engineering electives (15 credits) and the college of engineering does have an EE minor which if I do get accepted for the minor later it won't matter that much. So I could do a physics major with 33 credits in EE (18 minor + 15 physics electives) and still graduate on time.

I guess my questions is has anyone ever done a physics degree with the complete intention on becoming an engineer? The main reason I wanted to do EE was because I want to work in industry and I'm also fairly certain I would just stop at a bachelor's. Any thoughts?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I just talked to one of my past Physics Professors about this yesterday and he said that EE and Physics are very closely related as far as classes go. I don't think that physics with a minor in EE would be a bad Decision at all. the only real difference would be marketing yourself to companies, in which you would have to be more descriptive about your capabilities because you don't have the "EE" title on your diploma. I hope this helps a little...