Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling back on the Lebesgue measure from the abstract theory?

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am studying the abstract theory of measure and I was wondering how the Lebesgue case for real functions of a real variable arises. But I did not find it.

In the original theory of Lebesgue, a function f:E-->R was said to be measurable if for every real constant b, the preimage of [itex]]-\infty, b][/itex] by f was measurable. Let the collection of all measurable sets be denoted [tex]\mathcal{L}_{\mathbb{R}}[/tex] (the Lebesgue sigma-algebra). The pair [tex](\mathbb{R},\mathcal{L}_{\mathbb{R}})[/tex] is a measurable space.

In the abstract theory, we consider a function f btw two measurable spaces:

[tex]f:(X_1,\mathcal{T}_1)\rightarrow (X_2,\mathcal{T}_2)[/tex]

and say that it is measurable if, given a family of subsets of X_2 [itex]G_2[/itex] that generates the sigma-algebra [itex]\mathcal{T}_2[/itex] (i.e. [itex]\mathcal{T}(G_2)=\mathcal{T}_2[/itex]), we have

[tex]f^{-1}(G_2)\subset \mathcal{T}_1[/tex]

If I set X_1 = E a subset of R and X_2 = R, I am trying to find which sigma-algebras [itex]\mathcal{T}_1, \mathcal{T}_2[/itex] will make Lebesgue's definition and the abstract definition coincide. Obviously, we must take [itex]\mathcal{T}_2=\mathcal{T}(\{\{[-\infty,b]\}:b\in\mathbb{R}\})=\mathcal{B}_{\mathbb{R}}[/itex] (the borelian sigma-algebra). Now, if I were allowed to take [itex]\mathcal{T}_1=\mathcal{L}_{\mathbb{R}}[/itex] I would have succeeded, but [itex]\mathcal{L}_{\mathbb{R}}[/itex] is not a sigma-algebra on E. The next best thing is the trace of [itex]\mathcal{L}_{\mathbb{R}}[/itex] on E (aka maybe the induced sigma-algebra on E by [itex]\mathcal{L}_{\mathbb{R}}[/itex]) defined by [itex]\mathcal{L}_E=\{EM:M\in \mathcal{L}_{\mathbb{R}}\}[/itex].

But this does not seem to work. I need to check now that we have the equivalence (for all b in R, the preimage of [itex]]-\infty, b][/itex] by f is in [itex]\mathcal{L}_{\mathbb{R}}[/itex]) <==>(for all b in R the preimage of [itex]]-\infty, b][/itex] by f is in [itex]\mathcal{L}_E[/itex]).

The ==> part is trivial but I don'T know how to prive the <== part, and actually, I would think that it is not necessarily true, for instance if E is not a part of [itex]\mathcal{L}_{\mathbb{R}}[/itex].

Any ideas???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I just noticed that the trace of a sigma-algebra on a set E is only defined if E is itself an element of the sigma-algebra, such that the problem I rise concerning part <== does not exists.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?