Falling Chimney, Angular and Linear Acceleration

In summary, the cylindrical chimney falls over when its base is ruptured and at 29 degrees the tangential acceleration is 0.0744 m/s^2.
Versaiteis

Homework Statement

A tall, cylindrical chimney falls over when its base is ruptured. Treat the chimney as a thin rod of length 49.0 m. Answer the following for the instant it makes an angle of 29.0° with the vertical as it falls. (Hint: Use energy considerations, not a torque.)

(a) What is the radial acceleration of the top?
(b) What is the tangential acceleration of the top?
(c) At what angle θ is the tangential acceleration equal to g?

R = 49 m
theta = 29°

Homework Equations

Kinematic equations for Rotational Forces and Circular motion
Kinetic Energy = 1/2*I*w^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I can find the moment of Inertia for a rod, which is: 1/12 * MR^2
However I need to use the parallel axis theorem to find: 1/12*MR^2 + M(R/2)^2
Simplifying this I get:

I = 1/3 * M * R^2

I already know that I can find the angular velocity through conservation of energy:

KE + U initial = KE + U final

(these can be found if we follow the kinematics of the center of mass)

0 + Mg(h/2) = 1/2*I*w^2 + Mg(R/2 * cos(theta))
g = 1/3 * R * w^2 + g*cos(theta
g*(1-cos(theta)) = 1/3 * R * w^2
w^2 = (3g * (1-cos(theta))) / R

From circular motion kinematics we know that:

a(radial) = (v^2) / R

We also know that:

v = w*R

So combining them I get:

a(radial) = (w*r)^2 / R
a(radial) = w^2 * R

After plugging in values I get:

a(radial) = 3 * g * (1 - cos(theta))
a(radial) = 3 * 9.81 * (1 - cos(29))
a(radial) = 3.69 m/s^2

From there I need to find the tangential acceleration, but I can't seem to get a decent answer.

I know that:

a(tangential) = alpha * R

and using kinematic equations I can find that

w^2 = 2(alpha)*(theta)
alpha = (w^2) / (2*(theta'))

Where theta' here would be a radian measure or 29*(pi/180)

but this ends up giving me a value of 0.0744, which can't be right. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem with your solution is that a is not constant when the chimney is falling. You have to use mgh = .5mv^2 to find v and then you can find a tangential. To find the change in height, you must use the center of mass of the chimney ( the middle) when it is straight, and when it it at an angle of 29 degrees)

alright so I can apply conservation of energy by saying:

1/2 Mgh = 1/2*M*v^2 + 1/2 gh * cos(theta)
gh = v^2 + gh(cos(theta))
v = sqrt( gh(1-cos(theta)) )

But that would give me an answer of 7.76 m/s^2, which is close, but not right (Webassign gives me an answer of 7.13 m/s^2)

*Edit*
1/2 Mgh = 1/2*M*v^2 + 1/2 Mgh * cos(theta)

Forgot the mass on the Potential Energy, but the other two variants of the formula are correct, so this wouldn't account for the error in the final answer.

Last edited:

1. What is linear acceleration?

Linear acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time in a straight line. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of an object's angular velocity over time. Unlike linear acceleration, which measures changes in speed in a straight line, angular acceleration measures changes in rotational speed around an axis or point. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

3. How is falling chimney related to angular and linear acceleration?

When a chimney falls, it undergoes both angular and linear acceleration. As the chimney tips over, it experiences angular acceleration due to the change in its rotational speed. At the same time, it also experiences linear acceleration as it falls towards the ground due to the force of gravity.

4. What factors affect the angular and linear acceleration of a falling chimney?

The angular acceleration of a falling chimney is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of weight. The linear acceleration is affected by the force of gravity, air resistance, and any external forces acting on the chimney.

5. How can we calculate the angular and linear acceleration of a falling chimney?

The angular acceleration can be calculated using the equation α = Δω/Δt, where α is the angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time. The linear acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = Δv/Δt, where a is the linear acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time. Both equations can be applied to the specific scenario of a falling chimney to determine its angular and linear acceleration.