Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Family of sets without maximal element

1. Jun 12, 2013 #1
    I have begun to learn about maximal elements from a linear algebraic perspective (maximal linearly independent subsets of vector spaces). I have a few questions of which I have been able to get few insights online:

1) Does every family of sets have a maximal element? How can I make a family of sets that does not have a maximal element? I have to obviously make the hypothesis of Zorn's lemma fail, but I can't quite see how to do that.

2) Does every chain of sets have a maximal element? It seems that a chain of sets necessarily satisfies the criteria for Zorn's lemma but I am not sure.

Thanks!

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, to both of those. A counter-example is [tex]A_n= [-n, n][/tex], the closed interval from -n to n.

Zorns lemma says that if every chain in an ordered collection has a maximum, then the collection has maximal elements. If it were true that every chain has a maximum or that every family has a maximum, Zorn's lemma would be unnecessary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook